Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Solenoid clicking but not turning over what am I doing wrong I'm new to this? 05 Jun 2024 21:36 #900322

• Buschpush
  • Buschpush's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Forgive me if I sound dumb, new to this
  • Thank you received: 0
I can't seem to find the answer in the service manual.

It's a 1980 kz250 LTD just put it back together after a cam shaft and gasket replacement my solenoid is clicking but not turning the starter over.

I'm new to this so forgive me if it's something really simple.

Attaching a YouTube short below 

youtube.com/shorts/Qet1dS5B9vo?feature=share

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Solenoid clicking but not turning over what am I doing wrong I'm new to this? 05 Jun 2024 21:38 #900323

• Buschpush
  • User
I should specify the battery is fully charged, should I put oil down the spark plug as I didn't load up the top half with oil before starting?!

Solenoid clicking but not turning over what am I doing wrong I'm new to this? 05 Jun 2024 22:17 #900325

• Buschpush
  • User
The battery is sitting at about 12volts/11.9volts

Solenoid clicking but not turning over what am I doing wrong I'm new to this? 05 Jun 2024 22:38 #900326

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1985
Sounds like a missing or bad ground (negativ) terminal connection of the battery to the frame,, engine case or the main wiring loom.
This can cause that high amps can´t feed the starter motor to turn over the engine. You can try to test connect the starter solenoid plus terminal
to the battery plus terminal with a jump wire. Please use a suitable wire cross section typ for the high amps..

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Solenoid clicking but not turning over what am I doing wrong I'm new to this? 05 Jun 2024 23:51 #900327

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 2062

I should specify the battery is fully charged, should I put oil down the spark plug as I didn't load up the top half with oil before starting?!
if I am reading this correctly - are you suggesting putting oil in the spark plug hole because you didn't lube the cam when installed ? If so DON'T DO THAT !!!!!! the oil will hydraulic the engine and potentially bend a Conrod or damage the piston. Oil put in the head when assembling doesn't find it's way into the cylinder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buschpush

Solenoid clicking but not turning over what am I doing wrong I'm new to this? 05 Jun 2024 23:55 #900328

• Wookie58

I can't seem to find the answer in the service manual.

It's a 1980 kz250 LTD just put it back together after a cam shaft and gasket replacement my solenoid is clicking but not turning the starter over.

I'm new to this so forgive me if it's something really simple.

Attaching a YouTube short below 

youtube.com/shorts/Qet1dS5B9vo?feature=share
I am going to guess you are new to this kind of thing given your oil in the plug hole question ? Before you dive into the electrics, with the spark plug removed can you turn the engine over by hand easily ? Are you sure the cam timing is correct ? Did the starter work OK before removing the head ?

Solenoid clicking but not turning over what am I doing wrong I'm new to this? 05 Jun 2024 23:58 #900329

• Wookie58

What is the battery voltage when you push the starter button ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, Buschpush

Solenoid clicking but not turning over what am I doing wrong I'm new to this? 06 Jun 2024 03:37 #900332

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1056
It is probably your battery.  Try boosting and see if the engine turns over.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Solenoid clicking but not turning over what am I doing wrong I'm new to this? 06 Jun 2024 04:01 #900334

• Wookie58

Completely agree HRM (hence the voltage under load check) I have however  (based on an obvious lack of experience) suggested some basic mechanical checks first to ensure correct assembly before causing any mechanical damage (probably over cautious but "who knows")

Solenoid clicking but not turning over what am I doing wrong I'm new to this? 06 Jun 2024 05:59 #900340

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2141

Completely agree HRM (hence the voltage under load check) I have however  (based on an obvious lack of experience) suggested some basic mechanical checks first to ensure correct assembly before causing any mechanical damage (probably over cautious but "who knows")
I think overly cautious is the way to go here. It is very easy to get the cam timing wrong, and that can end with much sadness. I, too, suspect the battree is too weak to do the job.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Solenoid clicking but not turning over what am I doing wrong I'm new to this? 06 Jun 2024 05:59 #900341

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1645

A good battery should be at least 12.6 VDC after charging. I use a Ctek US 0.8 smart charger.
If it's 11.9 VDC after charging with a good charger, then the battery needs replacing.  
The voltage may be enough to actuate the solenoid, but not enough for the starter which is a large DC motor.
I would check the voltage at the fat cables on the solenoid; especially the one that goes to the starter >> connect meter and press the start button.

Basic motorcycle starter solenoid tests. google search = how to check a motorcycle starter solenoid:

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Solenoid clicking but not turning over what am I doing wrong I'm new to this? 06 Jun 2024 13:32 #900376

• Buschpush
  • User
I lubed the cam when installing but I also lubed the piston when installing did I already fuck up big time? I am indeed new to this and completely obvious, iv built tons of go karts but never worked on a engine this big so I have a basic understanding. Pardon me for my negligence.

Am I to take it apart and empty the oil from the piston, damn I fucked up eh

I just read up on what I did, fucking hell man

Where do I go from here? Take out the engine and get out as much as I can?

Last edit: by Buschpush. Reason: Update
  • Page: