Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bike is DEAD - even with new starter motor 22 May 2024 19:07 #899541

• coranmbeck73
  • coranmbeck73's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
The bike makes not a peep when I try to start it. I'd get the exact same response if I glued the starter button to a rock. It DOES kick start - the shop installed my brand new starter motor just a couple weeks ago - I can't imagine it's bit the dust. Maybe a wire came loose? (I normally try to look things up before posting a new question, but I forgot, as I literally just walked in the door and still have my boots and leather jacket on. The bike has started stalling on occasion when I'm stopped - I had to kick-start it twice at stop signs on the way home. I should maybe adjust the idle a little bit, no?) 
As ever - I am eternally grateful for your help, guys. Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bike is DEAD - even with new starter motor 22 May 2024 21:14 #899551

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 381
Do you have a voltmeter?
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

Bike is DEAD - even with new starter motor 23 May 2024 03:59 #899563

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1056
It's probably a weak battery.  If you have booster cables and another battery try to start the bike while boosting it.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Bike is DEAD - even with new starter motor 23 May 2024 06:40 #899567

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 442
Just a thought but if you think your idle speed may be to low and if you are doing a lot of stop go and waiting at traffic lights with turn signals etc going  then perhaps the low idle is not enough for optimal alternator output leading to run down battery.

i dont know what idle should be on a 400. On my 750 the manual says 1100 - 1300 rpm IIRC and checking with a multimeter I can see  that idling at 1000 rpm the battery is not getting enough juice. For me an idle set at 12-1300rpm is optimal. A cheap multi meter or even cheaper volt meter (Amazon?) Would take the guesswork out of it.

And dont listen to anyone who says  the idle should be as low as possible without stalling
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Bike is DEAD - even with new starter motor 23 May 2024 08:53 #899573

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2689
Check your battery and frame connections

Bike is DEAD - even with new starter motor 24 May 2024 22:27 #899677

• coranmbeck73
  • User
I THINK I do - ill check - and if I don't, I can have a friend bring one to me

Bike is DEAD - even with new starter motor 24 May 2024 22:29 #899678

• coranmbeck73
  • User
My battery is BRAND NEW - literally 7-10 days old, and all my lights turn on, it just won't start unless I kick it

Bike is DEAD - even with new starter motor 24 May 2024 22:30 #899679

• coranmbeck73
  • User
Thank you! Yeah, I definitely think I'd prefer to adjust the idle, so I don't have to worry about getting rear-ended, because the bike has stalled at a red light!

Bike is DEAD - even with new starter motor 24 May 2024 22:32 #899680

• coranmbeck73
  • User
Thank you - will do. I feel like a battery connection could be it, but my lights turn on - is there a connector from the battery to the starter motor? If so, it seems as though that would be the likely culprit

Bike is DEAD - even with new starter motor 24 May 2024 23:49 #899681

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 147

Thank you - will do. I feel like a battery connection could be it, but my lights turn on - is there a connector from the battery to the starter motor? If so, it seems as though that would be the likely culprit

Hi coran .I think you are right .There is a great chance that your starter soilenoid is bad. It is  sitting connected near the battery often about 4 inches
and has 2 big connections / nuts . it has 2 quite thick wires one to battery that is red and the the other black going straight to starter engine. The solenoid itself is a round canister. To check if it works it should make a click sound when you turn on the ignition. You can also test it by using a screwdriver between the 2 big nuts and short it, but be careful because it will make a spark. and make sure the bike is in neutral.And no gasoline near the spark.Maybe one wire is lose .Also first check if a fuse is blown.For more advanced testing of the starter solenoid wookie58 or someone else will maybe chime in.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Last edit: by Rolf1976_KZ900.

Bike is DEAD - even with new starter motor 25 May 2024 05:20 #899692

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 381
i'll give it a shot if you have your meter.

A quick test you can do if you don't have your meter.

Download a compass app for your smartphone. It can be any app really.

motorcycle key switch on
kill switch set to run

hold your phone close to the starter solenoid with the compass app open
hit the starter button
does the compass needle swing when you hit the button?
The reason for this test is the solenoid is a strong electromagnet. When you push the button the magnet becomes energized and with attract the compass needle.

you should also hear a click coming from the solenoid.

I'll give you some voltmeter tests in a second once I get coffee.

ok,
I'm being lazy. Someone had a starter issue about a week ago and I posted there. I'm copy and pasting from that..

Grab your meter.

key on
kill switch set to "run"

meter set to DC V

red probe on positive battery post( post is the metal part of the battery)
black probe on negative battery post
note voltage

hit the starter button
note voltage

move the red probe to the starter relay big  post that has the big wire coming from the battery.
hit the starter button
note voltage

move red probe to the other large post on the relay. This post has the large wire going to the starter.
hit the starter button
note voltage

The relay should also make a loud click when you push the starter button.

Move red probe to the positve post on the starter. Put the probe on the post not the wire.
hit the starter button
note voltage

move the red probe to one of the metal bolts that mount the starter.
hit the starter button
( this reading has to be as close to 0.0V as possible. It should be a steady reading as well. If it's jumping all over the place then you have a very bad ground. If it's higher than 0.5v then your ground is not great)
note voltage

There are two small wires that go to the solenoid as well.
You'll need to leave those wires connected but slide the probe under the boot to touch the conductor.

Red probe on one of the wires. Press the starter button.
note voltage

Red probe on the other wire. Press the button.
Note voltage

turn off bike

81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Last edit: by F64.

Bike is DEAD - even with new starter motor 25 May 2024 13:46 #899726

• coranmbeck73
  • User
Thank you! Yep, undoubtedly that's the problem: there's no "click" whatsoever - as I'd said in my original post,  I'd get the exact same reaction if I taped the starter button to a rock and pressed it. I see that solenoids are inexpensive (huzzah!), and as I am still waiting for one of my fork tubes to arrive, I'll go ahead and order that today, so I can haul everything down to the shop this week. I had a hunch it was something easily remedied - I definitely will go down the list of suggestions everyone's given me, just to double-check, and because I like to familiarize myself with things. A friend is coming over shortly, and I'll have HIM poke around with a screwdriver (haha - he's an electrician - he installed my turn signals). Oh, and I bought a voltmeter (voltometer?) At any rate, one of those things! Thank you - thank you - Thank you! My friends and family can attest to the fact that I would likely go off the rails were it not for the fantastic forum members. I am in love with this bike (and my CTs), and my soul is crushed when I have an issue (with a '68, '72, and '74, it's more often than not). But thanks to you guys and your excellent advice, I've felt confident doing some things myself - you rock!

• Page: