1978 kz 650 sr - rocker cover removed - questions about service to top end

More
22 May 2024 05:27 #899508 by chopper1963
Where is the video?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2024 05:56 #899509 by Wookie58

Thanks Ron. I just watched a video that the guy did exactly what you are saying. You are correct about my tensioner, apologies I referred to it as automatic but yes you are correct. the factory manual says to remove the tensioner and the tach gear for some reason? i think thats more geared toward removing the whole head tho?
My understanding is this is to avoid damaging the tach gear when you pull the cam back down on reassembly due to misalignment
The following user(s) said Thank You: xstreamcanadian

• xstreamcanadian
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 May 2024 08:48 #899519 by xstreamcanadian
Wookie

Yes agreed but from what I could see of my configuration damaging the tach gear would be difficult. As the exhaust cam lays down it meshes perfectly, and either way youd have to re install the tach gear prior to the cam anyway I think? I just left mine and used assembly lube on the cams and the tach gear and a little on each bucket. it seems to operate much smoother now too, not sure if thats in my mind or not. thanks again for all of your help sir 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

• xstreamcanadian
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 May 2024 08:50 #899520 by xstreamcanadian

Where is the video?

its on youtube? it wasnt a great one and skipped a few steps so I didnt save the link. there are plenty on there if youre needing to watch one

More
22 May 2024 09:08 #899521 by Wookie58

Wookie

Yes agreed but from what I could see of my configuration damaging the tach gear would be difficult. As the exhaust cam lays down it meshes perfectly, and either way youd have to re install the tach gear prior to the cam anyway I think? I just left mine and used assembly lube on the cams and the tach gear and a little on each bucket. it seems to operate much smoother now too, not sure if thats in my mind or not. thanks again for all of your help sir 
I think to be fair, with care and experience there are many steps in all manufacturers service manuals that can be and are "by-passed". The thing to keep in mind is that these manuals are written for a diverse demographic of readers and where possible the authors try and "protect the luddites from themselves" 
The following user(s) said Thank You: xstreamcanadian

• xstreamcanadian
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 May 2024 09:42 #899522 by xstreamcanadian
ha ha yes. I am one of those luddites sadly from time to time but with the manual and you guys I am coming out of the dark into the light 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58