Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How long before the rings seat. 28 Mar 2024 11:49 #897022

• Rev
  • Rev's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
My bike has been sitting dormant for 3 years and I am getting it back on the road.
When I parked it I had just completed a valve adjustment and carb cleaning.  The compression was in the high 170 right across the board when parked. They are now 150 to 146 across the board cold. How long should I let it run to get the rings to seat properly and get the compression back up?
78 kz650, Maxi-dwell, Modified flow through air box, Dyna coils.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How long before the rings seat. 28 Mar 2024 12:14 #897024

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 657
The difference between hot and cold compression results is around 15-20psi so if your previous were hot and your current are cold then nothing has changed. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

How long before the rings seat. 28 Mar 2024 12:21 #897025

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1798

My bike has been sitting dormant for 3 years and I am getting it back on the road.
When I parked it I had just completed a valve adjustment and carb cleaning.  The compression was in the high 170 right across the board when parked. They are now 150 to 146 across the board cold. How long should I let it run to get the rings to seat properly and get the compression back up?
Crank it to get the oil pressure up, Start it and ride as normal, running it stationary for a period of time will not achieve what you want. ride for a bit (not at a constant throttle) and everything should "bed back in"
EDIT: make sure the brakes are working as they should (not seized) before you hit the road !!

Last edit: by Wookie58.

How long before the rings seat. 28 Mar 2024 12:31 #897026

• Michi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
Not really relevant to your case where I think you might be talking about suspected glazing in the bores from leaving the bike sitting, but after rebuilding my KZ440 it took a surprisingly long time to get the rings to bed in nicely. A few hundred miles before I got strong engine braking back.
KZ440A LTD (1980)

How long before the rings seat. 28 Mar 2024 19:37 #897030

• Rev
  • Rev's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for your input, everyone. I was wondering about it for it was having a problem getting fuel. My first though was that there was not enough compression to create the venturi effect to get the fuel.
Checked the float levels tonight and found them low, so they are off now and will be resetting them tomorrow.
78 kz650, Maxi-dwell, Modified flow through air box, Dyna coils.

• Page: