Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cometic Gaskets - Fiber vs AFM (Aluminum Foam Material) vs Fiber 28 Jan 2024 14:23 #894552

• sdinse
  • sdinse's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I am planning on sealing up all the oil leaks on my 73 Z1 with a new MLS head gasket from Cometic and saw that when it comes to case/cover gaskets they offer 2 versions and at the same price.

Sooooo, what is the consensus on these?  Is the AFM a clearly superior gasket or should I stick with the conventional tried and true(?) fiber?  From what I've read at Cometic it SOUNDS good in theory, but, my searching hasn't turned up anyone's experience with the AFM gaskets.  Anyone??

Thanks,
Steve
Steve
1973 Z1 Since New

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cometic Gaskets - Fiber vs AFM (Aluminum Foam Material) vs Fiber 28 Jan 2024 14:35 #894554

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1469
I've used both from Cometic and never had any issues with either.
With the fibre case gaskets i always grease both sides before fitment which aids settlement and ease of removal for possible re-use.
With the MLS head gasket you need to make sure the surfaces are very clean and flat such as a freshly machined block or head etc
Any sort of pitting or roughness and you may be better of with the fibre head gasket as these cope better with surface irregularities.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

Cometic Gaskets - Fiber vs AFM (Aluminum Foam Material) vs Fiber 28 Jan 2024 16:40 #894560

• sdinse
  • sdinse's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for the reply Zed. To me the MLS is a no-brainer, the only way to go.  My experience with the fiber case gaskets over a long period is that they weep ever so slightly.  The AFM sounds like it may put an end to that so I wanted to hear from someone who has had them in place for an extended period of time.  I think I just convinced myself to go with the AFM. 

Anyone else?
Steve
1973 Z1 Since New

Cometic Gaskets - Fiber vs AFM (Aluminum Foam Material) vs Fiber 30 Jan 2024 16:42 #894647

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 636
Wiseco K1172 piston kit includes a Multi Layer Steel MLS head gasket per image below:

Received confirmation from Cometic that NO sealant fill is necessary in the 11009-1208 o-ring recess around the cam chain opening, or at the outer four cylinder stud holes where 92055-1148 o-rings are used with J-motor cylinder blocks, when using a Cometic MLS head gasket.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

Last edit: by daveo.

Cometic Gaskets - Fiber vs AFM (Aluminum Foam Material) vs Fiber 30 Jan 2024 18:17 #894651

• Cra-z1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 85
Haven't tried the head gaskets just the cover gaskets both fiber and AMF gaskets. Only complaint with the AFM cover gaskets is the fit. On some there is a lot of gasket material around the covers. I have trimmed them a bit to get a better fit

Cometic Gaskets - Fiber vs AFM (Aluminum Foam Material) vs Fiber 30 Jan 2024 20:22 #894657

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 636
Have one issue with the Cometic fiber cam cover gasket installed last Summer.  Oil migrates through the gasket to the exposed edge where it accumulates and leaves a black smudge on my rag when I wipe it off.

Must be attracting fine road grime as I'm riding.  It's confusing and weird, like the "i" before "e" rule I still don't understand.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: by daveo.
  • Page: