• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ305 cylinder head questions 13 Aug 2023 00:20 #888234

• Legionnaire1856
  • Legionnaire1856's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello everyone,
                           I have a 1982 kz305 csr and I've got the head off to replace the head gasket for the 3rd time. I've owned the bike for 19 years and have left it sitting for the past 5 years so a lot of stuff is toast. I was looking at the outside of the head and it looked like not only was the valve cover liquid gasket leaking oil but the head gasket was as well. I thought the head gasket leaking was strange because I replaced it with a new one probably 6 years ago and it seems a little early for it to have done that. I may or may not have had a few beers at the bar one summer and rode the bike home on the interstate for 30 minutes straight at 200 rpm below redline in 6th gear (87 mph).

So I don't want to do this job again. I want to make sure it's done right and I won't have to go in there anymore, at least until it's sold maybe next year. I have a few questions for you guys if you have the time, as you definitely know more about engines than I do.

1. The head has a small dent on the mating surface. It almost looks like someone took a philips screwdriver and gouged it a little. Should I get it machined? I will try to post the photo on here.
2. The valve seals are original and I'm sure they're dried up and crusty. I can take the valves out and replace the seal, but I'm concerned with the valve seat mating surfaces after I'm done. I don't have a grinder or any tools to do all that stuff...do I need to send the head off to make sure it's leak free? The manual mentions reaming the valve guides even if you reuse the old ones. I know nothing about any of that.
3. The cylinder gasket is original. I don't see it leaking any oil and would really rather not take the cylinder off and deal with the piston rings, etc. Should it really be done while I've already got the head off? I am not looking forward to 3 hours of scraping an old baked-on gasket.

I'm trying to not get too into the weeds with this bike. It's getting expensive and I'm already going to have a hard time getting any money out of it in running condition...it's probably the least desirable KZ out there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ305 cylinder head questions 16 Aug 2023 17:50 #888345

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
I think I may have a leaking head gasket and I just changed it a few month ago, so don't feel bad...but I have gotten a lot of miles out of it. Gonna try retorquing it first of all

I would think someone here could advice you on that chip...I'm thinking you could probably fill it somehow but don't rely on my advice. I know I've seen that people have done it but have no idea how smart it is or how long it lasted

Last edit: by 82KZ305Belt.

KZ305 cylinder head questions 17 Aug 2023 11:27 #888399

• ckahleer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 141

.it's probably the least desirable KZ out there. 

Yes, But the KZ305 is a diamond in the ruff. It's easy and fun to ride. It's my daily rider, while my "cool" bikes sit in the garage.
It also has that anoying oil leak around the head gasket. I replaced the head gasket over the winter, but this summer the leak is back.
I may try again next winter. This time I will put head cover sealent on the outer surfaces of the head gasket, keeping it away from the metal crush rings. I will also discard the oil pass through o-ring that comes with the top end gasket kit and get a better, maybe thicker one.
94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
85 VT 500c
85 VF1100c

KZ305 cylinder head questions 17 Aug 2023 11:31 #888400

• ckahleer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 141

.it's probably the least desirable KZ out there. 

Yes, But the KZ305 is a diamond in the rough. It's easy and fun to ride. It's my daily rider, while my "cool" bikes sit in the garage.
It also has that anoying oil leak around the head gasket. I replaced the head gasket over the winter, but this summer the leak is back.
I may try again next winter. This time I will put head cover sealant on the outer surfaces of the head gasket, keeping it away from the metal crush rings. I will also discard the oil pass through o-ring that comes with the top end gasket kit and get a better, maybe thicker one.
My thought is that the metal crush rings are not crushing enough to allow for an oil tight seal on the rest of the gasket.

94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
85 VT 500c
85 VF1100c

Last edit: by ckahleer.
  • Page: