Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Joining crankcase halves 01 Aug 2023 11:48 #887780

• Michi
  • Michi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
Hi. I'm putting together my KZ440 engine. 
Got the manual and everything. Also have a torque wrench. Here's the deal - I've joined the upper and lower crankcase halves. But my torque wrench isn't really designed for the low kgm bolt specs which are clearly spelt out in the manual for the crankcase bolts. My torque wrench is not accurate on low torques. It starts at 20Nm.

So it's together and it's got Threebond between the halves, and I've got the bolts in (the M6 ones perhaps a little tighter than they should be, but not crazy tight). The big ones (M8) are spot-on. Question is, is this going to cause me problems, or should I buy a low-torque torque wrench, remove the bolts and do them up again. In short, can I get away with this, without leaks and warpage.
KZ440A LTD (1980)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Joining crankcase halves 01 Aug 2023 12:00 #887781

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2707
You should be fine.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58, Michi

Joining crankcase halves 02 Aug 2023 04:01 #887798

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1042
It's very easy to over torque an M6 bolt without a torque wrench.  If you don't know how tight they are you simply don't know.  I don't think the downside is all that serious though.  If they didn't snap when you installed them they probably will be OK.  You may lose one or two due to fatigue in the future so you might want to check them from time to time.  Ultimately though, if you plan to do any more engines you would be well served by having the correct tools.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58, Michi

Joining crankcase halves 02 Aug 2023 04:30 #887802

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1885

It's very easy to over torque an M6 bolt without a torque wrench.  If you don't know how tight they are you simply don't know.  I don't think the downside is all that serious though.  If they didn't snap when you installed them they probably will be OK.  You may lose one or two due to fatigue in the future so you might want to check them from time to time.  Ultimately though, if you plan to do any more engines you would be well served by having the correct tools.
Couldn't agree more, to be fair loosening and re-torqueing them may be "the straw to break the camels back" as far as pulling threads out goes !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michi

• Page: