TOPIC:

Would you reuse this cylinder head 03 Jul 2023 18:10 #886798

• Michi
  • Michi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
Ah, back to the backup (spare) head then. No probs! Thanks guys
KZ440A LTD (1980)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Would you reuse this cylinder head 17 Jul 2023 13:51 #887345

• Michi
  • User
Any views on this please? As per the preceding posts, I had a serious problem with chips and damage to the cylinder head caused by broken pieces of piston ring.I've got a spare head. However, just so that I have a fair comparison, I decided to Dremel out the damage.Here are the photos of what I've done (i.e. removed a fair amount of material). I've pictured the remedied  without the old head gasket, to show how far it goes. The chips are completely gone and it's reasonably smooth. I'd still like to use this head if possible, just because there's much less wear on the cam bearing surfaces. Couple of things I'm not sure about:1) The cleared up combustion chamber edges go right up to the very edge of the gasket. Would it seal?2) Have I gone too far with the removal of material?What do you think? 
KZ440A LTD (1980)
Attachments:

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD. Reason: My question didn't make sense. Edited it now

Would you reuse this cylinder head 17 Jul 2023 14:35 #887346

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1500
Only just seen this thread.
The head would have been just fine if you had simply eased off some of the sharp edges to eliminate hot spots and left it at that.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, Wookie58

Would you reuse this cylinder head 17 Jul 2023 14:36 #887347

• Michi
  • User

The head would have been just fine if you had simply eased off some of the sharp edges to eliminate hot spots and left it at that.

Is it unusable then?
KZ440A LTD (1980)

Would you reuse this cylinder head 17 Jul 2023 16:26 #887351

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1500

Is it unusable then?
No! It will still work.
Just that it wasn't that bad to begin with.
It's hard to tell by the pics how much material you have removed which will affect the compression ratio.
Ideally you should cc both combustion chambers and make sure they are at least the same volume.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michi

Last edit: by zed1015.

Would you reuse this cylinder head 17 Jul 2023 17:17 #887353

• Michi
  • User
Thanks. I think I'll do exactly that, and measure it out with petrol in each dome. Tbh I don't think I've removed a huge amount. There were cutting tools and dies used at the factory which created wide apertures for the valves, and these steep ridges which have now been broken down. I don't know how much these ridges influenced flow when either valve was open. 
It's the uncertainty - I am really curious to see what it would be like. This is part of a learning experience for me, although at the same time I'd rather it wasn't pushing down harder on one cylinder than the other and causing an imbalance which will cause massive wear to the conrods and crank bearings. So I might just try to get the volumes as even as I can and give it a try, I think. It's all about having fun with engines, etc. I'll see if I'm still feeling brave next time I look at it. 
Although the sensible thing would be to use the spare cylinder head! Heh... Sometimes having more choices creates more problems.
KZ440A LTD (1980)

• Page: