Does This Sound Right to You??

• Dr. Frankenstein
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jul 2023 11:07 - 01 Jul 2023 11:09 #886697 by Dr. Frankenstein
Does This Sound Right to You?? was created by Dr. Frankenstein
So I finally got everything sorted on my 1976 KZ400S; it started on the first kick, which I was very happy about, but of course happiness is fleeting. For the life of me, I can't get the clutch cable adjusted, and couldn't pull it in - it felt like the plates were stuck together, so I of course had to take the clutch apart and see - and they weren't. But of course, this meant taking the spark advance out and having to re-time it, recheck the valves, etc. and I adjusted the cam chain as per the official Kawasaki manual for this bike (which is written very well, I might add). Now it runs, but I have to kick the hell out of it before it catches, and I have tried to be meticulous in my methods...

Anyway, it's running, but I was curious about the normal sound of the engine - one of my motor-savvy biker friends says it sounds like normal cam chain noise, but to me it sounds kind of rattly. Here's a video of it running:  1976 KZ400 S Engine Noise - YouTube ...does this sound like a normal KZ400S? It's only got a little over 10K on the odometer.

Last edit: 01 Jul 2023 11:09 by Dr. Frankenstein.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
01 Jul 2023 14:38 #886705 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Does This Sound Right to You??
Engine sounds healthy, nothing to worry about. Maybe some valve lash fine adjustment is needed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.