305 rebuild complete...again

More
18 Jun 2023 11:31 - 18 Jun 2023 11:32 #886125 by 82KZ305Belt
305 rebuild complete...again was created by 82KZ305Belt
Finally got the 2nd rebuild job completed yesterday. I found more owner-related problems which is what took so long, a tiny washer was missing from one of the pilot screws, so I had to wait for that and new o-rings for the T that connects the 2 carbs, because that leaked when I first got it reassembled a couple weeks ago.

I'll admit I was lazy and impatient (or stupid, as you wish), I set the static timing but didn't check my valves before firing it up. After some initial troubles it finally caught, although it made a noticeable popping sound like either valves or exhaust leak that seemed to get a bit better as it warmed up. But I took it for a 5 mile ride yesterday up and down my street 1/2 mile either way, and it seemed fine. It smoked A LOT on startup and and warmup and at least until I started riding but I didn't notice it once I started riding. After my first rebuild 2 years ago it wouldn't go above 45 and smoked from one side only. This time it smoked from both sides which I took as a good sign, lol.  It had plenty of power left when I reached 45 mph, so I did something better than last time. Fingers crossed.  

Today I checked the valves, intakes were fine  and both exhaust valves clearances were way to large, so I reset them. Started up and I still have the popping noise so I will have to keep sleuthing that and keep hoping its not internal. Gotta work on the idle and should probably put the timing light on it.

Last edit: 18 Jun 2023 11:32 by 82KZ305Belt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2023 18:59 #886153 by 82KZ305Belt
Replied by 82KZ305Belt on topic 305 rebuild complete...again
Bike started right up this morning, idled perfectly, and didn't smoke at all. Found the exhaust leak and stopped it. Didn't ride and only ran it 4-5 minutes or less. When I came back later to work on it it wouldn't start for the life of me. ran through everything again-valves, static timing, spark, clear tube test. Finally got it to fire for a split second late today and decided to stop there.  Will revisit it tomorrow when I'm fresh and try to set the idle/pilot screws again. .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.