• Page:

TOPIC:

Leaky cam cover gasket 18 May 2023 09:18 #884845

• mark1122
  • mark1122's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
what are you guys finding is the best way to seal the cam cover gasket. just put on the second one and it still leaks. i normally just put them on dry because its so hard to get sealer off after words. have you found a good sealer for this.?
Also what brand gasket is best . the 2 i used were knock offs so i am thinking am OEM or maybe a Versa. something that has quality with out the big price would be nice.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by mark1122.

Leaky cam cover gasket 18 May 2023 09:57 #884849

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
OEM gaskets are almost always best.  Some grease on the gasket to keep it from sticking works well.  Getting new half moon pieces is a good idea too.  Aftermarket for those is typically okay.  Use silicone or ThreeBond sealer on the curved section of the seal, then install the valve cover down, to hold them in place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 78kawltd

Leaky cam cover gasket 18 May 2023 10:50 #884850

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
I gather the motor you are talking about is a Kz900 or '77,'78 Kz1000. If so the best valve cover I have found is the O.E.M. gasket. I don't know if Kawasaki still covers that gasket with a film of graphite like the last one I bought back like 10 years ago. I used to be able to reuse those gaskets couple of times. I always put my valve cover gaskets on dry. Like Nessism said use some Three Bond on the cam plugs. I also install my cam plugs with that lip around the curved edge on the inside of the head. It helps keeping the cam plug from being pushed out of place.

The only aftermarket valve cover gasket I found that was close to the O.E.M. gasket was the ones that K&L Supply Co. sells or sold. I have not looked through a K&L catalog in ages so I don't know if they even sell them anymore. It would be something you might want to look into. I can't believe Kawasaki has the balls to charge something like 80 bucks for that valve cover gasket now!!!! 

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:

Leaky cam cover gasket 18 May 2023 15:05 #884871

• mark1122
  • mark1122's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
thanks guys. i have had 2 aftermarket gaskets leak now. i don't have trouble with the cam plugs. i usually use atv type sealer on them.
I think i will try a Cometic Brand Gasket or Versa . I live in canada and so many dealers try to hose u on the shipping. I'll keep looking.
I have never tried or even heard of grease on a gasket before. i tried ATV silicone on the last one but it made the gasket want to squeeze out.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Last edit: by mark1122.

Leaky cam cover gasket 18 May 2023 15:38 #884876

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675

thanks guys. i have had 2 aftermarket gaskets leak now. i don't have trouble with the cam plugs. i usually use atv type sealer on them.
I think i will try a Cometic Brand Gasket or Versa . I live in canada and so many dealers try to hose u on the shipping. I'll keep looking.
I have never tried or even heard of grease on a gasket before. i tried ATV silicone on the last one but it made the gasket want to squeeze out.

If two aftermarket gasket leaked, why buy another aftermarket gasket?

Leaky cam cover gasket 18 May 2023 15:51 #884877

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
  • Thank you received: 65
You may have a finishing surface problem.......   To me the stock graphite gasket is very good sealing, but tend to stick and disintegrate when removed.   The aftermarket I use, are not graphite and very inexpensive, they seem to be like thin cardboard, but seal perfectly and I can reuse more than once w/out any leaks.....never had any problems with them......I coat them with graphite but that's only to prevent sticking,....not sealing.

Last edit: by hugo.

Leaky cam cover gasket 18 May 2023 18:26 #884881

• Wheelhop
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 292

I think you meant to say Vesrah ? I may be off on the spelling too, Ha Ha.
1978 KZ 1000B (73 tribute)
1977 KZ1000 project
1976 KZ 900
1976 KV 75
1976 Honda Elsinore MT250
1974 Z1 900 project
1971 Honda CT70
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE

Leaky cam cover gasket 15 Jun 2023 20:25 #886023

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 247
I've used the Cometic gaskets with some success.  A very thin coating of black rtv on the cover side of the gasket just to hold it in place while installing.  By coating the cover side it will be easier to clean the cover flange than the head surface next time.  If you keep the rtv thin it won't be enough to squeeze out and look like crap.

Scotty

Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1

Leaky cam cover gasket 16 Jun 2023 05:19 #886027

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 597
We very seldom replace valve cover gaskets on our Z1's. Most are OEM and have been on & off multiple times.  OEM is preferred with Vesrah being a close second. 

We apply RTV to both sides of the gasket in as thin a layer as humanly possible.  If sealant is squeezing out, too much is being applied.  It's difficult to get too little RTV on both sides of a valve cover gasket, but easy to apply too much.  We apply a dab of sealant to thumb  & index finger, then 'walk' the gasket between them, spreading the sealant as thinly as possible as we go, adding dabs as needed until we get back to where we started..  If the gasket then just looks wet-ish, we go with that.  If the mating surfaces are clean & smooth, sealant thickness needs be only a thou or less to seal well.  Cleanup at next removal is easy, as the RTV just sort of rolls off in little balls.

On the mating surfaces,  we moisten a clean rag with a little motor oil, and wipe both mating surfaces, (head and valve cover) to apply a very light coating of oil, then wipe again with a dry rag.  The best rag in the world won't remove all the oil.  Doing so leaves a layer of oil likely only a few molecules thick to act as a releasing agent.  Cover removal then only requires a few gentle, friendly persuasion taps with a plastic mallet.

We do the end seals as mentioned by Nessim & DrGamma, but install them solid side out.  A tiny extra dab of sealant at the corners where they meet the head surface, because it's usually not quite even there.

Something we feel is sometimes overlooked is fastener tightening.  Valve cover spec on Z1's. is 70 In.-lbs.  We start in the center & work out in a cross pattern, repeating three times; 25 in.-lbs. first, then 50 in.-lbs., finishing the third pass using 70 in.-lbs.  A little time-consuming, but no leaks & never a stripped thread.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 78kawltd, howardhb

Leaky cam cover gasket 16 Jun 2023 06:40 #886030

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 223
I use the ridiculously priced OEM gasket.
On the engine side I use a very thin smear of Hylomar non hardening gasket sealer (which in the future I may or may not regret). And on the cover I use a smear of oil.
It never leaks and hopefully I’ll get a few 'on and offs' with the same gasket.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

Leaky cam cover gasket 16 Jun 2023 09:03 #886037

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 369
I have not done this as of yet, so take this with a grain of salt to speak, but there has been a recent discussion on the z650proboards site regarding this topic.  Gaskets dry or with some type of sealer.  Many indicate they use the gaskets dry, but rub both sides of the gasket with lip balm (chap stick etc) which makes removing the gasket easier and aids in a no leak seal.  It sort of makes sense to me, and the next time I install a new gasket I will try it and see what happens.
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Leaky cam cover gasket 16 Jun 2023 13:58 #886055

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 399
Hey Mark, if your after Cometic try "Winners Circle"

I got a 1200 Cometic base gasket from them pretty reasonable. I believe they sell some stuff thru Ebay, maybe overstock stuff.

I use chap stick on my paper gaskets for easy removal/reuse.

How is that Smokin Joe Carron pipe treating you?
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

Last edit: by Injected. Reason: sp
  • Page: