Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Does the fuel level sensor vent need a tube? 26 Mar 2023 21:37 #882045

• chridav
  • chridav's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey everyone, I am finishing an overhaul on my '84 ZN1100, and seem to be missing a vent tube.  After rebuilding all 4 carbs, cleaning the inside of the fuel tank and rebuilding the level sensor the bike is running like new again.  I had to redo all the emission lines to the evaporation canister and fuel tank vents, but there does not seem to be a tube connected to the vent cap on the fuel level sensor.  If you have seen one of these, it is a square plastic cap that snaps over the base of the sending unit.  The cap has a vent nipple on it.  Does anyone know if there needs to be a vent hose on this to vent fumes or can it just vent under the tank?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Does the fuel level sensor vent need a tube? 26 Mar 2023 22:35 #882047

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 656
I don't think it's a vent but a drain, don't know re your model but on the level sensor cover for early 80's 1000 j's there is a tube connected that runs back under the tank and down the back of the ehgine by the swingarm pivot.
I assumed its there in case of sensor level gasket leaks to drain fuel away from hot engine components. 
It's shown as 2 pieces on the diagram to denote its longer than shown on the diagram. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, howardhb, chridav

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

Does the fuel level sensor vent need a tube? 27 Mar 2023 00:19 #882048

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1785
I don't know but would agree with Warren. Any venting would need to be done from the top of the tank
The following user(s) said Thank You: Warren3200gt, chridav

Does the fuel level sensor vent need a tube? 27 Mar 2023 10:31 #882072

• chridav
  • User
Thanks Warren, I agree with you and Wookie58 - It's a drain, not a vent.  There really shouldn't be any fumes emitted from the sensor, but if it ever leaks, a drain tube would be important.  I had already installed a tube exactly as you described, and was wondering if I should leave it there.  In my mind, everything needs a reason to be, and I could not see a need to vent the sensor, but now it makes complete sense.  My fuel tank is only slightly different from yours, but essentially they have the same components.  Thanks for such a detailed reply.  

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Warren3200gt

Does the fuel level sensor vent need a tube? 27 Mar 2023 10:54 #882076

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
Make sure to run the drain tube to the SIDE of the tire, not right in front of it, for obvious reasons...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58, chridav

Does the fuel level sensor vent need a tube? 27 Mar 2023 11:07 #882077

• chridav
  • User
Thanks, I'm pretty sure I have it on the right side, but I'll double-check that it's clear of the tire.

• Page: