Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Thanks Everyone! And Gaiter Question 10 Mar 2023 08:01 #881332

• DanMadBoy
  • DanMadBoy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 14
So, my KZ650 top end has been rebuilt. There was some back and forth in the forum about a gear being changed. My meghanic who worked on UJM's for 40 years insisted, against forum advice, that I change all the gears in the top end. Nessism said to change them all and so did others.

Well, that mechanic had a LOT of pride and FINALLY told me to order the other two, so I did before it was done.

Hats off to the forum for being right and sorry if I got angry. I thought I was being misled.

Now, will 39mm fork gaiters fit on 36mm KZ650 forks without looking floppy? I love the look of gaiters!
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb, Wookie58
The topic has been locked.

Thanks Everyone! And Gaiter Question 10 Mar 2023 08:30 #881339

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 691
Hello again,
I thought your guy told you the other two had already been changed for Liska guides.

39mm gaiters on 36mm forks will flop around unless you cable tie them but I'm sure your old timer 40year ujm mechanic could have advised you on this. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest
Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

Thanks Everyone! And Gaiter Question 10 Mar 2023 08:59 #881341

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2692
Welcome back.   I'd like to know if the others were Liska or OEM. If OEM it was a good idea to replace them. If all are new now you can ride knowing what is going on between your legs and RIDE THE PISS OUT OF IT   with the confidence of a job well done. 
As for the gaiters if they will fit tightly on the lowers without the dust boots and you've made a couple spacers with pieces of large hose they should look good with hose clamps at the top and work as intended. 
As always we love pics. 
Steve

Thanks Everyone! And Gaiter Question 10 Mar 2023 09:12 #881345

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1907

Hello again,
I thought your guy told you the other two had already been changed for Liska guides.

Very, very, interesting!
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Thanks Everyone! And Gaiter Question 10 Mar 2023 10:04 #881348

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 395

Hello again,

Very, very, interesting!

He also said he wasn't coming back, so there appears to be only a nodding acquaintance (if that) with the truth. It's not worth trying to engage IMO.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Thanks Everyone! And Gaiter Question 10 Mar 2023 12:39 #881352

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 2102
One thing that age has taught me is that "youthful exuberance" knows no bounds, however given that the guy has had the stones to comeback and eat "humble pie" maybe it would be best to "let sleeping dogs lay" and not rub his nose in it. I am sure future posts will show his true colours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 78z1Joe, Nessism, SWest, hardrockminer, howardhb

Thanks Everyone! And Gaiter Question 10 Mar 2023 13:17 #881353

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 395

One thing that age has taught me is that "youthful exuberance" knows no bounds, however given that the guy has had the stones to comeback and eat "humble pie" maybe it would be best to "let sleeping dogs lay" and not rub his nose in it. I am sure future posts will show his true colours.

Fair enough. However, I suspect he has already done that: the ever-changing "facts" and arguing with people who are trying to help are pretty easy to read.

"When people show you who they are, believe them." - Maya Angelou
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Thanks Everyone! And Gaiter Question 10 Mar 2023 15:28 #881355

• DanMadBoy
  • User is blocked

Hello again,

Very, very, interesting!

He also said he wasn't coming back, so there appears to be only a nodding acquaintance (if that) with the truth. It's not worth trying to engage IMO.

Too bad you focused on the negative. I actually came back to apologize and say Nessism, etc were right.

The mechanic had a perfunctory look at the other two and identified them as liskas. When he actually took them out, he could see they LOOKED like liskas but were not, and may have been handmade by someone.

Last edit: by DanMadBoy.

Thanks Everyone! And Gaiter Question 10 Mar 2023 15:31 #881356

• DanMadBoy
  • User is blocked

Thanks for seeing the good intent I have in  returning. I felt it only right to tell those who warned me that they were right. I really appreciate that you see the kind of heart I have in this.

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58
Last edit: by DanMadBoy.

Thanks Everyone! And Gaiter Question 10 Mar 2023 17:39 #881364

• DanMadBoy
  • User is blocked

Welcome back.   I'd like to know if the others were Liska or OEM. If OEM it was a good idea to replace them. If all are new now you can ride knowing what is going on between your legs and RIDE THE PISS OUT OF IT   with the confidence of a job well done. 
As for the gaiters if they will fit tightly on the lowers without the dust boots and you've made a couple spacers with pieces of large hose they should look good with hose clamps at the top and work as intended. 
As always we love pics. 
Steve

Thanks!!

Thanks Everyone! And Gaiter Question 11 Mar 2023 03:17 #881370

• willemZ900
  • User
  • Z1B 4 ever
  • Thank you received: 55
The mechanic had a perfunctory look at the other two and identified them as liskas. When he actually took them out, he could see they LOOKED like liskas but were not, and may have been handmade by someone.                                                                                                               Can you show some pics of thèse handmade gars, just curious 

Thanks Everyone! And Gaiter Question 11 Mar 2023 06:38 #881372

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2769
I say we let sleeping dogs lie, and dismiss the past.

The gaiters need to accommodate 36mm inner fork tubes, and be reasonable close in size at your attachment points.  I'd measure the OD of the fork slider, at the top.  

You might want to check this out...www.gazzz-garage.com/2020/03/02/kawasaki...ps-for-fork-gaiters/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58
  • Page: