Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1100 Shaft exhaust question 19 Feb 2023 17:12 #880464

• persi
  • persi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
So, I've been tearing down this bike and when I got the exhaust off, the part of the exhaust that links the two 2-into-1 sides of the setup has rusted through. I'm no mechanic but I can bet they were linked for a reason... rigidity, exhaust vibration, etc.

Now my question is, can anyone with experience in this area tell me if it's absolutely necessary they stay connected or will I experience some massive issue further down the line?

I've looked around and I can't find anything concrete on this, and I can't even find the part number for the dang thing! If I could cut those pipe parts off and seal the hole somehow would that be alright? The flange that the bolt goes through to hold the exhaust to the engine is intact, so I'm not too worried about the pipes rattling around and all that, I just don't want a major issue later by trying to MacGyver an easy fix.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1100 Shaft exhaust question 19 Feb 2023 18:11 #880466

• Michi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
I'm not a mechanic but I can tell you you need that that part needs to be there, and not leaking. It's a balancing pipe, and it plays a role in exhaust excavation. Your bike won't run smoothly without it, or if it's leaking. Replacement pipes were 4-into-1, and even those were tuned pipes. Original pipes are always well worth preserving. 
Don't try to McGyver it - all McGyver bodges are a complete waste of time. Here in the UK, people used to use all sorts of things to repair exhaust leaks just long enough to get them through an MOT (an annual safety check by an agent of a government body). They don't last. 

I would sleeve/replace any section of pipe that's rusted through, and weld up wherever it's necessary. It's cheaper than a replacement exhaust.
KZ440A LTD (1980)

KZ1100 Shaft exhaust question 20 Feb 2023 04:46 #880490

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2769
Based on the millions of 4 cylinder bikes without a cross-over pipe, I'd estimate that it's not needed. I think it's there improve scavenging at some specific point in the power curve, but I doubt you will notice any difference with it removed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

KZ1100 Shaft exhaust question 20 Feb 2023 07:14 #880505

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 414
It is my understanding that in general. balance or equalizer chambers between the exhaust pipes, tend to flatten the torque peak and widen the powerband.
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

KZ1100 Shaft exhaust question 20 Feb 2023 07:21 #880506

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1646
The crossover pipe in the pic is part of the RH muffler assembly, so it isn't a separate part.  It probably adds rigidity to the system.
Depending upon how bad it is, you might be able to make a repair by using copper pipe & fittings. and maybe use some RTV &/or exhaust pipe wrap to seal it up.

KZ1100 Shaft exhaust question 22 Feb 2023 20:29 #880659

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 643

So, I've been tearing down this bike and when I got the exhaust off, the part of the exhaust that links the two 2-into-1 sides of the setup has rusted through. I'm no mechanic but I can bet they were linked for a reason... rigidity, exhaust vibration, etc.

Now my question is, can anyone with experience in this area tell me if it's absolutely necessary they stay connected or will I experience some massive issue further down the line?

I've looked around and I can't find anything concrete on this, and I can't even find the part number for the dang thing! If I could cut those pipe parts off and seal the hole somehow would that be alright? The flange that the bolt goes through to hold the exhaust to the engine is intact, so I'm not too worried about the pipes rattling around and all that, I just don't want a major issue later by trying to MacGyver an easy fix.

Thanks in advance!

New listing for complete exhaust system.  See ebay item 354602353364

Might be an option worth considering.

1982 KZ1100-A2

• Page: