Worn primary chain

More
27 Jul 2022 10:25 #871132 by Feanor_twh
Worn primary chain was created by Feanor_twh
I have a KZ400 with the primary chain at the service limit (20mm slack). However the guides are like new and the primary gear and clutch tooths as well.

I am looking for a new chain (hard to find), but in the meantime I am using the bike. Can someone tell me how bad is riding with a worn chain? My biggest fear is that it's going to ruin the teeth on the gears, which would be more hard to find.

(1976) Kawasaki KZ400-D3. All original, but: electronic reg/rec (Oregon Motorcycle Parts), new handlebar controls (w/ PASS/HORN/lights switch, LED dash lights (superbrightleds.com), Dynatek coil (3ohm), MAC mufflers, HEL brake hoses, rubber fork boots, 4.00 rear tyre (Dunlop K70), chromed chainguard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2022 11:53 #871135 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic Worn primary chain
Worn primary won't damage the teeth unless your gunning it's so that the chain jumps the teeth. 
When it starts jumping under light acceleration is when it definately needs changing unless the engine is out already in which case do it now. 
Don't know about your model but on 650's it's a complete tear down as the crankshaft needs to come out. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

More
27 Jul 2022 13:42 #871146 by krazee1
Replied by krazee1 on topic Worn primary chain
IIRC,  and it's been a loooong time since I wrenched on a 400, the primary chain is inside the R.H./clutch cover.  Easy access!

Mike

Former M.E. at Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing, Lincoln, NE
1966 W1 (the Z1 of 1966-50H.P. and 100mph!)
1974 Z1
1978 KZ1000 LTD
1976 KZ900B pile O parts
1980 KZ750E
1980 Honda XL250S (I know, wrong flavor!)

More
27 Jul 2022 13:52 #871147 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Worn primary chain
Run it just make sure carbs are syncronised good to keep noise down they run pretty much forever

1984 750 Turbo

More
28 Jul 2022 16:39 #871222 by Feanor_twh
Replied by Feanor_twh on topic Worn primary chain
I come from the bicycle world, where a stretched chain ends up accommodating the rest of the transmission to its new length (eating the gear teeth for it)

But I will listen to what you say, it seems that for the moment I will be able to use it a little more. At the moment the chain does not jump or do anything strange, it's just that when I went to check the gear lever spring I took the opportunity and checked the chain.

I never understood why out of sync carbs can make the primary drive noisier.

The new chain costs about 200$.

(1976) Kawasaki KZ400-D3. All original, but: electronic reg/rec (Oregon Motorcycle Parts), new handlebar controls (w/ PASS/HORN/lights switch, LED dash lights (superbrightleds.com), Dynatek coil (3ohm), MAC mufflers, HEL brake hoses, rubber fork boots, 4.00 rear tyre (Dunlop K70), chromed chainguard

More
28 Jul 2022 18:43 - 28 Jul 2022 18:44 #871224 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic Worn primary chain
Think of the service limit as the safe amount a chain can stretch without causing any problems or accelerated wear. All chains stretch. This is no different to a bike chain, they also have service limits, which really is just a line drawn in the sand for how much stretch is acceptable before the wear will accelerate. A chain just under the service limit isn't that different to a chain just over - but you need to draw the line somewhere.

Out-of-sync carbs make the chain noisier because each cylinder will 'pulse' the chain. If the carbs are balanced, each pulse will be the same strength and the chain will stay around the same speed. If one pulse is larger than the other, the larger pulse will pull the chain just a little more, and then the following weaker pulse won't keep up, and the chain will slacken slightly. So with unsynced carbs, the chain will be slackening and tightening slightly all the time.

1981 KZ750 LTD
Last edit: 28 Jul 2022 18:44 by Irish Yobbo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feanor_twh

More
02 Aug 2022 02:41 - 02 Aug 2022 02:41 #871491 by Feanor_twh
Replied by Feanor_twh on topic Worn primary chain

Out-of-sync carbs make the chain noisier because each cylinder will 'pulse' the chain. If the carbs are balanced, each pulse will be the same strength and the chain will stay around the same speed. If one pulse is larger than the other, the larger pulse will pull the chain just a little more, and then the following weaker pulse won't keep up, and the chain will slacken slightly. So with unsynced carbs, the chain will be slackening and tightening slightly all the time.
That's a great explanation, now it's totally clear to me, thanks

Last edit: 02 Aug 2022 02:41 by Feanor_twh.

More
03 Aug 2022 06:19 #871580 by Ian_B
Replied by Ian_B on topic Worn primary chain
I know everyone calls it "chain stretch", but just to be clear which may help when assessing any possible damage that using it might cause, chains virtually never "stretch". Yes, they get longer; this is caused by wear where the pins rub against the holes in the links. On a new chain, there's very little clearance between link and pin - a thou or so maybe? When this clearance increases, the pitch of the chain becomes longer and this in turn causes more rapid wear of the chain wheels (and the mating link faces). The links themselves do not exceed their elastic limit and take on a permanent set.

Ian