1984 GPZ550 - Exhaust Stud Broke off in Head

More
18 Jul 2022 15:55 #870576 by tfest
And by broke off, I mean it's deep within. I just acquired this bike as a failed project from a friend and am resurrecting it. I know I have 2 options...

1. Find some way to extract the bolt, drill it out, tap, use an insert, something like that? Pointers?
2. Buy a replacement head off EBay - or another online retailer - suggestions on someone reputable?

Also, it needs other parts like chain, sprockets, brake discs/pads, head stock bearings, so pointers on a great retailer to get those parts would be much appreciated.

The PO chopped off the tail so it's going to be some sort of Cafe/bobber/something build, it was free so I'm going to have fun with it. Other than the exhaust stud problem, it runs fantastic and has a 4-1 header, gotta look up the brand. I just picked this up yesterday so I've got some research to do.

All help is appreciated and I'm super stoked to be back in the motorcycle game again. Thanks!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2022 17:32 - 18 Jul 2022 17:38 #870584 by woodyvale
Replied by woodyvale on topic 1984 GPZ550 - Exhaust Stud Broke off in Head
I would try to repair it first.

I had a really bad one that the previous owner had 'repaired'. Ended up having the whole area aluminium welded to build it back up again to be re-tapped. So anything is possible.

Its a real common problem, so there are loads of how to videos on you tube. Check out a few first and note some of the techniques.

Most involve centre punching the broken stud and using a screw extractor or lefty drill bit, then helicoiling or using an insert if the thread is trashed.

As to parts, there are loads of great retailers out there - depends on where you're located and how long you want to wait for delivery. Partzilla (US), CSMNL (Holland) for oem parts. Z1 enterprises (US), Z-Power (UK), Brakecrafters (US) for aftermarket. I'm in australia and buy parts from all over the globe.

Good luck
Last edit: 18 Jul 2022 17:38 by woodyvale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tfest

More
18 Jul 2022 22:57 #870597 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic 1984 GPZ550 - Exhaust Stud Broke off in Head
Google "EDM" bolt removal in your part of the world. This is a process of spark eroding the broken stud. 

More
19 Jul 2022 08:41 #870615 by tfest
Thanks for the info, it's very helpful. I'm an experienced fabricator and welder so I shouldn't have too many issues. I'll tear into the bike this weekend and start the repairs.

I'm based out of Portland, OR.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

More
19 Jul 2022 09:37 - 19 Jul 2022 09:38 #870623 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic 1984 GPZ550 - Exhaust Stud Broke off in Head
Should be fine with good drill bits (exhaust studs tend to be very hard due to the heat cycling) If it all goes horribly wrong there is always these to get you out of trouble 

• Last edit: 19 Jul 2022 09:38 by Wookie58.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

• Forrest
    • Sustaining Member
    • The Mad Duck
    More
    19 Jul 2022 14:51 #870639 by Forrest
    Replied by Forrest on topic 1984 GPZ550 - Exhaust Stud Broke off in Head

Google "EDM" bolt removal in your part of the world. This is a process of spark eroding the broken stud. 

What Wookie said.  I went down a rabbit hole earlier this year on a fork axle clamp broken stud.  I contacted a local disintegrating service(thanks again Wookie!).  Had that back in a few days and went on about my business.  

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
    1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
    1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
    2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
    2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

More
    19 Jul 2022 17:04 - 19 Jul 2022 17:06 #870665 by Nessism
    Replied by Nessism on topic 1984 GPZ550 - Exhaust Stud Broke off in Head
    Drilling out broken bolts is not difficult.  It just takes some care.  If you are hamfisted, don't even attempt it.  Find someone to do the work for you.

First thing, buy some LH drill bits.  Harbor Freight or Amazon sell sets for cheap.

Starting with a small bit, like 1/8", drill into the center of the broken screw.  It's absolutely critical that you hit the center.  If the hole starts off center, you will have to work the bit sideways until you get a hole dead in the center of the broken screw.  Use some PB Blaster or similar for lubrication.  Once you do that, move the next larger bit and drill into the first hole.  Slowly step up in size, bit by bit, using lots of lubrication, making sure you are staying centered in the old screw.  As you get up into the larger bits, the screw will be just a shell of its former self, and typically, it will just spin out on its own as the shell gets thin.  Worst case, you will have to get a tap to clean the shards of old threads.  That's a rare case though.
    Last edit: 19 Jul 2022 17:06 by Nessism.

• Scirocco
    • Premium Member
    • Never change a running system
    More
    19 Jul 2022 18:14 #870673 by Scirocco
    Replied by Scirocco on topic 1984 GPZ550 - Exhaust Stud Broke off in Head
    A bore guide is nessesary to hold the right angle and the center during drill process!

More
    19 Jul 2022 19:49 - 19 Jul 2022 19:50 #870678 by krazee1
    Replied by krazee1 on topic 1984 GPZ550 - Exhaust Stud Broke off in Head
    I drilled out a lot of broken fasteners working on the end of the assembly line for 30+ years. New folks on the line from time to time and figuring out how to use air tools (some for the first time) meant I got plenty of practice!  As has already been mentioned,  the most critical part of the process is center punching the broken piece dead center and drilling the pilot hole straight. If there was a threaded hole in the piece I was working on that ran parallel to the broken fastener I would use a bolt or screw as a guide to stay straight.(in this case the neighboring exhaust stud) I also had the advantage of using a small air drill and a new bit for each attempt. You do not want to break off a drill bit,  that's when the project turns to Poo! Drilling a broken exhaust stud out while the cylinder head is on the bike will be challenging! Those repair studs are cool Wookie!

Good Luck,  Mike 

Former M.E. at Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing, Lincoln, NE
    1966 W1 (the Z1 of 1966-50H.P. and 100mph!)
    1974 Z1
    1978 KZ1000 LTD
    1976 KZ900B pile O parts
    1980 KZ750E
    1980 Honda XL250S (I know, wrong flavor!)
    Last edit: 19 Jul 2022 19:50 by krazee1.

More
    20 Jul 2022 11:55 - 20 Jul 2022 11:56 #870726 by tfest
    Here's a pic of the damage...

I've removed and drilled out plenty of studs but this one... this one's a doozy, see attached pic.

Last edit: 20 Jul 2022 11:56 by tfest.

More
    20 Jul 2022 11:59 - 20 Jul 2022 12:01 #870727 by tfest
    Here's a pic of the bike, it needs some work but it has potential. Lots of fixing poorly executed modifications. Good thing I can weld...
    Last edit: 20 Jul 2022 12:01 by tfest.

More
    20 Jul 2022 13:34 #870731 by tfest
    Also, I'm having trouble finding clear answers for this. What are the threads on the exhaust studs? With the location of this broken one I can easily access it while the head is still on the block. I'm thinking about threaded inserts from mcmaster...