exhaust leak on 1976 kz750 b-4

More
07 Jun 2022 14:08 #868434 by Hoteiharrah
exhaust leak on 1976 kz750 b-4 was created by Hoteiharrah
I've got a 76 kz750 b4 and I'll tell you, I've got some work ahead of me. I bought it 3 months ago and at the time is was relatively clean, running well, etc.

Lately it has been running roughly, it runs and I drives still daily but It's got some issues. The exhaust is a two into one, and it's been fully heat wrapped by the previous owner. Unfortunately on one side where the header meets the engine the wrap was coming undone recently. I noticed randomly that the entire header was wildly moving and vibrating in correlation with rpms. When I revved it, it would clearly move. This suggested an exhaust leak to me. I pulled away a little bit of that unraveled and frayed wrap, and I took it apart and found that the bolts on the manifold I believe it's called were not even tightened. Inside, the pipe goes straight in and there are these two half moon retainers in there. I tightened everything down but found that now you can literally feel the air blowing out as I rev the engine.

Now I gotta fix this obvious exhaust leak. I'm no mechanic but I'm learning every day.
Is there some kind of gasket, tape, or other suggestion that can help me get rid of this leak?

Any explanation can really help as well, I don't always know what I'm doing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
07 Jun 2022 15:48 #868443 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic exhaust leak on 1976 kz750 b-4
You have to renew the exhaust gaskets. They are one use only parts. Don´t try to re-torque the nuts or you will strip or broke the bolds off.

More
07 Jun 2022 17:18 - 07 Jun 2022 17:27 #868451 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic exhaust leak on 1976 kz750 b-4
Reference number 24 in this diagram.
www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...air-cleaner-mufflers

As you can see farther down the page, they are still available new from Kawasaki.

Since you have an aftermarket system, other details will be different, but the gasket should be the same.
I suspect you like the look of that heat wrap, but be aware that it is pretty effective at trapping moisture and accelerating rust.

P.S. When you take the exhaust pipes loose, look very carefully at the sealing surface around each exhaust port. It is sometimes very hard to see an old, compressed gasket in there. If there is one and you fail to remove it, you will have a new headache later.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 07 Jun 2022 17:27 by TexasKZ.

More
07 Jun 2022 17:24 #868452 by TexasKZ
This will make owning and learning about your new motorcycle much easier. 

www.kzrider.com/modules/ServiceManuals/K...l%20KZ750%20Twin.pdf

Since it is new to you, you should assume that none of the routine maintenance was ever done. Doing all of it should be your first priority. One of the most important and most neglected items on that list is the valve lash adjustment. It can be intimidating the first time, but there is plenty of help on this forum to get you through it.

More
07 Jun 2022 22:19 #868467 by Hoteiharrah
Replied by Hoteiharrah on topic exhaust leak on 1976 kz750 b-4
Thank you! I am going to go ahead and order the gasket now, along with the clamps and screw needed for the connector hose from airbox to carb, unfortunately that part is unavailable on this page (#10) but the ones I have are both cracked and torn up a bit. Been wanting to replace them.

More
08 Jun 2022 06:04 #868481 by TexasKZ
Most of the hose clamps and various screws are available at hardware and auto parts stores. If there is a large Ace Hardware near you, you might be surprised at what a large selection of fasteners they stock. Also, they are not pre-packaged, so you buy only what you need.

More
08 Jun 2022 06:24 #868484 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic exhaust leak on 1976 kz750 b-4
Since it's an aftermarket system, you might want to consider fiber gaskets of the correct size.  Z1Enterprises may have them listed under Suzuki or maybe Yamaha.