Kz900 Head

• Mikaw
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
02 Jun 2022 16:43 #868070 by Mikaw
Kz900 Head was created by Mikaw
   I’ve been inquiring with various know shops to see if saving a head is a viable project. I’ve seen some “rebuilt” ones advertised and I think I know we’re to stop dollar wise. I sent out pictures of the damage so venders could see if it’s something they think they can repair. Along with the repair I’m asking to price out a standard valve job. One vendor replied saying yes they can help, but they wanted the valves removed and only send them one each good exhaust and intake. I called thinking that was strange but before I took up his time I asked for a ballpark cost. He gave me the cost. Slightly higher than I expected but we chatted more. I inquired about he’s requesting only two valves. He said a standard valve job only consists of cutting the seats. When a question him about resurfacing the valve and setting the height and possibly tipping the stem to get the correct installed height, he mentioned that not a standard valve job, if you want all of that done it would be an additional cost. 

So my question is, did I ask for the wrong thing when I said standard valve job, or should I be leery of this vendor and his tactics of adding cost. I thought a valve job was resurfacing the valve face. Cutting the seats, lapping the valves and setting the installed height. Am I wrong? 

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2022 16:45 #868071 by 73z1
Replied by 73z1 on topic Kz900 Head
What damage ?
If the valves have seat dents from use replace them.

• Mikaw
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
02 Jun 2022 16:51 #868073 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Kz900 Head
Stripped blown out spark plug hole. A miss drilled attempt to drill out an exhaust stud. And a similar ham fisted drilling attempt to remove a broken cam cover bolt. All the valves are installed so I don’t know the condition. 

1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Jimi Hendrix.
  • Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    02 Jun 2022 19:49 #868096 by Nessism
    Replied by Nessism on topic Kz900 Head
    Sounds like BS.  A "valve Job" involves both cutting the seats and valves.  And regarding the valves, they need to be tipped in order to put the valve height within the proper range.  

From the photos, it looks like some threaded inserts will save the day.  I've seen worse butchery.  You need to find a shop that knows their shit though.  And sadly, that's not easy these days.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

More
    03 Jun 2022 06:04 #868115 by Injected
    Replied by Injected on topic Kz900 Head
    For a typical valve job my local shop will cut the seats and face the valves. They will tip the valves later it no cost after you take it home and assemble it.

If you want all of that done (assembly/math) there is a extra cost involved. This is a motorcycle only machine shop, they don't lap valves if they already ground them.

My guy breaks down the cost and asks if you can do any of it, gives me the choice up front. This guy is the Larry Cavanaugh of Canada.

It pays to be handy and do stuff on your own, you can save a lot of $$.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

More
    03 Jun 2022 06:40 #868117 by ayeckley
    Replied by ayeckley on topic Kz900 Head
    I wonder if the shop in question is the same one I used (and was disappointed in). Located in Florida perhaps?

1976 KZ900A4
    1976 KZ900A4
    1978 KZ1000A2
    1983 ZX750 A1 aka GPz 750
    1983 ZX750 A1
    1973 CL350K4
    1984 ZX1100 A2 aka GPz1100
    1969 CT90
    2006 Burgman 400

• Mikaw
    • Topic Author
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    03 Jun 2022 07:04 #868118 by Mikaw
    Replied by Mikaw on topic Kz900 Head
    No, I contacted them but yet to get a reply. APE, Schnitz, replied they can’t help but did offer referrals. 

Thanks for backing up my thoughts, that asking fo a standard valve job should involve what I expected. I understand installing the valves, seal, cams and shimming would be an extra. I was just confused by asking for a valve job and being requested to supply only two valves. I guess if they thought I was asking for head work only that may have been correct to just cut the seats and check with a valve, but I clearly asked for a standard valve job. 

The quest continues. One driving factor is to find a shop that does good work so we know where to send our parts and feel confident. 

1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
    1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
    1980 KZ 750 E1
    Jimi Hendrix.

More
    03 Jun 2022 07:40 #868123 by Moose1800
    Replied by Moose1800 on topic Kz900 Head
    I was gonna ask if anyone here has had work done at this place.     www.pitstopperformance.com/valve-jobs/

• Street Fighter LTD
    • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
    More
    03 Jun 2022 07:53 #868124 by Street Fighter LTD
    Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Kz900 Head

I was gonna ask if anyone here has had work done at this place.     www.pitstopperformance.com/valve-jobs/

I used them 10 years ago for block boring  and purchased MTC pistons for a great price  . Workmanship was excellent . No issues at all
      BUT      others have had issues , so I dont know  anything as a absolute.
    Joe was off with health problems  for a period and problems were during this time frame .
     Cant speak  about today.
    Joe was easy to reach by email.   But will tell you not to call as thats not how to reach him fast
    Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
    Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
    03 Jun 2022 08:04 #868126 by Moose1800
    Replied by Moose1800 on topic Kz900 Head
    Thanks Dave, I have an engine I'd like to have rebuilt and looking for a place that does good work, I contacted Schnitz years ago and was told the guy that knew his stuff passed away.

More
    03 Jun 2022 08:31 #868130 by u.k. Dave
    Replied by u.k. Dave on topic Kz900 Head
    I would run a mile from any shop that said they only needed two valves to do the job. If you get a spring compressor, you could take a look at the valves and seats yourself, measure them up etc, chances are a gentle lap with some fine past is all you will need. Most car workshops should be able to do the threaded inserts for you, they generally do it all the time and have the tooling. Its not too difficult to do yourself if you have the space and tools. Timecerts are far better than helicoils, but you may not have the option on the spark plug hole, a helicoil would be better probably due to close proximity of plughole to valve seat edge. 

• DOHC
    • Sustaining Member
    • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
    More
    03 Jun 2022 08:50 #868133 by DOHC
    Replied by DOHC on topic Kz900 Head

APE, Schnitz, replied they can’t help...

What did APE say they wouldn't do?  They show rewelded heads in their page and definitely advertise head work.  I have been thinking of sending a head to them.

One driving factor is to find a shop that does good work so we know where to send our parts and feel confident. 

That's exactly where I am as well.  With multiple projects I really want to find someone reliable and skilled, and then seems all my stuff to them 

"Seeking trustworthy cylinder head shop for long term relationship.". :)

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
    My dad's '74 Z1
    '00 ZRX1100