Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tachometer nut oil leak 13 May 2022 05:37 #866999

• Csr75095
  • Csr75095's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey guys. Yesterday my CSR750 sprung a leak from behind the tach cable nut. I took the nut off and pulled the cable out and am not sure what im lookin at. It looks like there is some sort of seal in there but it doesn't look like your standard press in oil seal. It's orange and looks thin with the female piece of the tachometer drive poking out. I can see a gap all the way around that female piece of the tach drive so im sure thats what the deal is. Now I did a little research on it and saw that z1 has a tach drive seal but like I said it looks different than what I've got in there and I also saw someone said they made a paper gasket but didn't elaborate much. How can I repair this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tachometer nut oil leak 13 May 2022 05:57 #867001

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
From the valve cover diagram at Partzilla for the 1982 KZ750-M1 CSR, there's an orange gasket, oil seal & o-ring. 
Z1Ent may sell an entire kit. not sure. 

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor.../cylinder-head-cover

The following user(s) said Thank You: Csr75095

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Tachometer nut oil leak 13 May 2022 06:28 #867005

• Csr75095
  • User
Oh man perfect thank you. I looked at the same parts diagram on CMSNL and they didn't show that part of the parts diagram. Well there ya go. Yeah that orange gasket is almost entirely gone on mine. I'll get both the seal and the gasket tho I'm not sure how I'm gonna get that seal out. 

Tachometer nut oil leak 13 May 2022 06:30 #867007

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
I would go ahead & replace the o-ring as well.  I've never done the job, so not sure if you have to remove the valve cover or what.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Csr75095

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Tachometer nut oil leak 13 May 2022 07:14 #867009

• Csr75095
  • User
Yeah that was my plan. I'm going to order the seal, the gasket and the guide o ring. It looks on the parts diagram like I can pull the whole deal out so I can then replace the seal on the bench instead of while it's in the head because that seal appears to fit into the end of the tachometer drive guide. 

• Page: