1982 KZ750 LTD Exhaust Modification

More
09 May 2022 00:09 #866795 by don3194
1982 KZ750 LTD Exhaust Modification was created by don3194
After many trials and tribulations, I finally was able to get my KZ750 running and riding well. After riding it for a while I have come to realize I really dont like the way the exhaust sounds. 
It has the stock exhaust and airbox on it. My friend has an 82' KZ550 with stock exhaust (I think maybe someone drilled out the baffles) and I like the way it sounds more, has some more deeper tones in it.
Anyways I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on mufflers for it. I saw a picture of one with this muffler on it  here  and I liked it.
I also somewhat would like to follow the "loud pipes save lives" philosophy.

Again if any one has any suggestions on mufflers and also how I should go about rejetting the carbs with modifying the exhaust.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2022 10:08 #866814 by Elfarm98648
Replied by Elfarm98648 on topic 1982 KZ750 LTD Exhaust Modification
Your options for the kz750 for exhaust is limited, there is a 4-1 header and full exhaust upgrade that will increase flow, removable baffle, and is supposed to make more HP. You can also drill out the baffles completely which I had on my 1981 kz750, my riding buddies compared it to a straight piped jet ski sound. 

Unless you cut the mufflers off completely and dump after the headers, then the carbs will probably not need any adjustment. CV34s do not have an adjustable needle position while stock. dynojet makes a kit with the adjustable needle, I would recommend it but it’s pricey.

More
09 May 2022 21:25 #866843 by don3194
Replied by don3194 on topic 1982 KZ750 LTD Exhaust Modification

Your options for the kz750 for exhaust is limited, there is a 4-1 header and full exhaust upgrade that will increase flow, removable baffle, and is supposed to make more HP. You can also drill out the baffles completely which I had on my 1981 kz750, my riding buddies compared it to a straight piped jet ski sound. 

Unless you cut the mufflers off completely and dump after the headers, then the carbs will probably not need any adjustment. CV34s do not have an adjustable needle position while stock. dynojet makes a kit with the adjustable needle, I would recommend it but it’s pricey.
I am hesitant to put a 4 in to 1 header on my bike as it is my rider for the road, I dont want to get the 5k-7k rpm flat spot in horsepower. I don't really want to cut my mufflers down, I think I saw a cut set of stock headers for sale on ebay that were relatively inexpensive. Thanks for suggesting that kit from dynojet, I didn't know they had an adjustable needle.

More
10 May 2022 19:29 #866896 by Elfarm98648
Replied by Elfarm98648 on topic 1982 KZ750 LTD Exhaust Modification
I was hesitant at first too, however I do not notice it. I mean honestly, how often are you even at 7k RPM unless you’re on a highway in the fast lane? I like the sound better than the stock pipes, even with the baffles removed. 
The Dynojet kit is not needed unless you intend on running individual pod filters. If you look into the slides of your carbs, assuming you have CV34s, you will find a slot for a flathead screwdriver. If you can break this set screw free, and it will be a challenge. Typically they have not been out since they were assembled at the factory. If you were able to, then it will allow you to use standard hardware store washers to shim the needle. This way you are getting the same needle adjustment for $2-3, vs the $100+ for the Dyno kit. These won’t be any jet changing needed for only a pipe change. But you will also have to do plug chops in order to dial in the needle to optimum AFR. 

More
10 May 2022 19:39 #866897 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 1982 KZ750 LTD Exhaust Modification
Drilling out the baffles is a horrible idea.  First off, increasing the noise won't make you any safer, since the noise shoots out backwards, behind the bike.  Bike accidents occur when people block your right of way.  Secondly, the carbs won't run as well, since they are jetted and designed to work with the stock airbox and exhaust.  Third, by making noise you not only annoy other people, but you also attract the police.  You can drive faster on a quiet bike than on a loud one, because the cops won't notice you.  If you just must make more noise than pony up some money for a half way decent 4:1 exhaust and then buy a jet kit. There are decent systems available, although most are way too loud.  If you want to mod, then figure out how to quiet down one of the more popular headers on the market.