Has any cut and re-welded a muffler after the crossover and before the muffler

More
19 Apr 2022 11:05 - 19 Apr 2022 11:30 #865757 by smokingguns
Has any cut and re-welded a muffler after the crossover and before the muffler ? The reason I ask is because I want to re-chrome the head pipes because of bluing and some lower surface rust. From what I read chrome shops will not do mufflers because the carbon ruins their chemicals. I think I can clean the carbon from the head pipes by soaking in a chemical. The mufflers are in good shape except for a small battery acid spot so they don't have to be re-chromed. Also is that single wall pipe where I want to cut?  I am think about buying a (POS) donner set off ebay just to experiment.  The pic is off ebay it is not off my bike. If my idea is nuts please let me know. Thanks 
  • Last edit: 19 Apr 2022 11:30 by smokingguns. Reason: PDF attachment not work

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    20 Apr 2022 07:51 - 20 Apr 2022 07:52 #865816 by Injected
    On stock exhausts the only pipes that are double wall are the head pipes. The area your pointing at is most likely single wall, it is also behind a cover so you would not see the area where it gets welded back up.
    Last edit: 20 Apr 2022 07:52 by Injected.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: smokingguns

More
    20 Apr 2022 09:46 #865827 by smokingguns
    I was thinking about putting a sleeve on the outside and weld to that for strength, I don't think it interfere with the cover clamp. I have a decent little 120V wire feed  mig welder that I plan on using. Any idea how thick the pipe is. FWIW, The chrome shop here in St.Louis wants $35.00 per foot and said carbon is no big deal on the head pipes. I am thinking about asking if he can do the whole muffler system with out cutting the head pipe off..... $70.00 extra per side for the muffler (?)

More
    20 Apr 2022 09:57 #865828 by katit

I was thinking about putting a sleeve on the outside and weld to that for strength, I don't think it interfere with the cover clamp. I have a decent little 120V wire feed  mig welder that I plan on using. Any idea how thick the pipe is. FWIW, The chrome shop here in St.Louis wants $35.00 per foot and said carbon is no big deal on the head pipes. I am thinking about asking if he can do the whole muffler system with out cutting the head pipe off..... $70.00 extra per side for the muffler (?)
    Which chrome shop you referring to? I am too in St Louis and going to need bunch of stuff chromed soon..

78 KZ650B2A - resto in progress
    www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/615161...s-1978-kz650-project
    Other bikes: 1978 BMW R100/7, 1978 Moto Guzzi T3, 2016 DRZ400s

More
    20 Apr 2022 10:52 #865831 by smokingguns

Which chrome shop you referring to? I am too in St Louis and going to need bunch of stuff chromed soon..
    St. Louis Plating Company
    (314) 652-0488
    2918 Franklin Ave.
    St. Louis, MO 63106
    They were a little slow getting back to me, I spoke with Buddy, Very nice guy on the phone, They are 3 mo out, I made a reservation for July 6 and they want the parts 2 weeks prior.

Good Luck

More
    20 Apr 2022 10:56 #865833 by katit

St. Louis Plating Company
    (314) 652-0488
    2918 Franklin Ave.
    St. Louis, MO 63106
    They were a little slow getting back to me, I spoke with Buddy, Very nice guy on the phone, They are 3 mo out, I made a reservation for July 6 and they want the parts 2 weeks prior.

Good Luck

I used them before. They actually quoted me much better on a spot when I brought parts (vs email/photos). And they ended up doing it quicker, but that was 2 years ago.

78 KZ650B2A - resto in progress
    www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/615161...s-1978-kz650-project
    Other bikes: 1978 BMW R100/7, 1978 Moto Guzzi T3, 2016 DRZ400s