Valve adjustment

More
15 Apr 2022 17:49 #865537 by Provie97
Valve adjustment was created by Provie97
Hello to all and happy Easter. I’ve got a 1980 750 h1 and it wasn’t firing on the #2 and #4 cylinders checked all electrical and nothing was amiss. Would crank and start fine on 2 cylinders. I decided I would check the valve clearances and they where off on both none firing cylinders with no clearance at all so I changed them out. Now, the Nike struggles to try and start but doesn’t quite make it. What could I have done wrong. Almost like it’s got too much compression?  Thanks in advance for any input. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2022 19:51 #865541 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Valve adjustment
Double check the plug wires. It is easy to connect them to the wrong cylinders.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Provie97

More
15 Apr 2022 21:41 #865544 by Provie97
Replied by Provie97 on topic Valve adjustment
No. That’s not it. I’ve changed the coils multiple times and even went back to points ignition instead of electronic to cut down on the electrical aspect. Could I have the cam chain too tigh,  I know by going from running on two cylinders then going to all four theres going to be more compression, but enough to strain a fully charged battery and still not fully fire off. Idk. I’m stuck lol

More
16 Apr 2022 00:33 #865547 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Valve adjustment
The more cylinders that are firing the easier it is on the battery. There is no more compression ( unless previously the valves weren't closing) but the firing cylinders help to spin the motor. What exactly have you done when setting the valve clearances ? What is the battery voltage when cranking ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Provie97

More
16 Apr 2022 02:43 #865551 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Valve adjustment
Did you remove the cam chain tensioner before re-fitting the cam cover.
If you didn't the HYVO camchain will be too tight  and you should remove the tensioner, back it off and re-fit asap before any other attempt at starting.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, Provie97

More
16 Apr 2022 19:49 #865593 by Provie97
Replied by Provie97 on topic Valve adjustment
I kinda retraced my putting the intake cam back on after adjusting the # 6 and #8 valve shim and when putting the valve cover on there was tension on the cam chain before it was seated correctly.but Being new to this I still bolted it up and called it good. I went back in to see what I did wrong and i was one tooth off on the sprocket. I corrected that and started it up and oil started coming from around the exhaust manifold and maybe the spark plug area  I got aggravated with it and went fishing. But I’m about to check it out. Thanks for the patience