Bent valve

More
14 Apr 2022 16:43 #865446 by Mike M
Bent valve was created by Mike M
While new to the forum, I have been a kz enthusiast for over 40 years and ride the 4 I own regularly. My ‘81 GPz1100 has 30,000 miles on it and has run great until recently when cruising steady at 3000 rpm in 5th gear it suddenly lost compression in one cylinder with accompanying jangling noise. Tear down revealed a bent #4 intake valve with evidence of being slapped by the piston. All the valve springs are intact. The cams, chain and tensioner appear to be fine. I had all the good valves and seats ground as long as it was apart.  As these engines are reliable I’m sure there is a reason for that failure and I just haven’t found it. Does anyone know of a typical or common cause of this failure considering my description of events?  I don’t want to put it back on the road if such a thing is likely to happen again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2022 19:13 #865454 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Bent valve
Maybe the valve seized in the guide and then the piston came up and smacked it?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw, howardhb, Mike M

More
15 Apr 2022 17:31 - 15 Apr 2022 17:31 #865536 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Bent valve
Welcome to a great forum and even greater group of members. If you lurked a bit before joining then you know pictures are a must. 

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2022 17:31 by Mikaw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, Mike M

More
18 Apr 2022 12:31 #865688 by Mike M
Replied by Mike M on topic Bent valve
Is valve seizure a common malady?  If so, can I visually determine that was the problem and what can I do to prevent future occurrences?  Also, I will post some pics and introduce myself in the other forum.  Thanks for any additional guidance.

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
18 Apr 2022 20:16 #865725 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic Bent valve

Is valve seizure a common malady?  If so, can I visually determine that was the problem and what can I do to prevent future occurrences?  Also, I will post some pics and introduce myself in the other forum.  Thanks for any additional guidance.

I have a KZ1000 engine where a valve seized and the valve head was broken off.  But I'm pretty sure this was a result of the engine sitting outside, the open valve stem rusting in place, and then someone coming along and kicking it over.  So not what you're describing, but it is an example of a seized valve.

It seems like it's worth very closely inspecting the valve guides in your head, and possibly having the guides replaced while you have it apart.  It's also worth measuring the valve to piston clearance as well.

The only other thing I can think of is that some of the J model cranks were prone to twisting.  The pieces are press-fit together, and some were too loose.  I have no idea if this twist could  be enough to shift the cam-to-crank timing enough that a valve touches the piston.  

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike M