Clutch cable

More
11 Apr 2022 18:42 #865257 by dimanya
Clutch cable was created by dimanya
Hey guys quick question. So I picked up another police kz 1995. Bike been sitting a lot. Looks much better. Clutch is super stiff. I removed the cable and cover on the bottom. Cable consists of 2 parts. Top part freely moves and bottom part does not move at all. Don't both of them have to move freely? Thank you

1982 Kawasaki KZ1000 Police

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2022 19:29 #865259 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic Clutch cable
I don't know your model specifically, but every part of the clutch should move easily with little resistance all the way up to the clutch pushrod.
It's pretty easy to rub the clutch cable on the exhaust if its not secured to the frame correctly, this can melt it and make it drag.

Even when smooth without load, old clutch cables can drag badly when under load if the inner lining has degraded. If you don't know its history and the clutch is poor, it's probably worth replacing the cable, and cleaning and lubing the cam mechanism that presses the pushrod. Doing this is cheap and will rule out anything outside the bike - if you do this and still have problems you may need to investigate the clutch springs.

You can get uprated springs, and I've heard of people putting in completely different springs to incrase clamping pressure. I have 20% uprated springs in my KZ750 and even with that the clutch has less lever pressure than most other bikes I've ridden.

1981 KZ750 LTD

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
More
12 Apr 2022 01:38 - 12 Apr 2022 01:39 #865269 by hugo
Replied by hugo on topic Clutch cable
At least the casing in those cables were split in the middle, creating another weak link and corrosion source.   With a bike this old, I'd replace it with a new one, regardless as to whether the cable has parted. or stuck.    Cables are inexpensive
Last edit: 12 Apr 2022 01:39 by hugo.

More
12 Apr 2022 04:53 #865274 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Clutch cable
You can try lubricating the cable, but it will most likely need replacing.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
12 Apr 2022 05:33 #865279 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Clutch cable
After getting the cable sorted, the clutch may need adjustment. On some models you're supposed to turn the clutch release adjusting screw counterclockwise first until hard to turn, then clockwise 1/4 to 1/2 turn. It's kind of counterintuitive. Some manuals are ambiguous about the direction, even some Kawasaki service manuals. My 81 KZ650-CSR is counterclockwise first.