Mystery Stock Exhaust Question

• McThing
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
02 Apr 2022 10:20 #864740 by McThing
Mystery Stock Exhaust Question was created by McThing
Hi All,

While tearing down my KZ750N2 one thing I found early on was that the flange and inner pipe of my right exhaust baffle had completely broken off. A PO had simply slipped it all together and it wasn't particularly obvious until I disassembled it. My first thought was to just have it re-welded. I have a couple of friends who are particularly talented in that skill so I set it aside while I focused deeper into the whole project for a while.

But now I'm ready to get it repaired and I was cleaning it up to take over to their shop when I also noticed a hole, about 1.5mm in size, about an inch or so below where the flange meets the tail pipe. I checked the good pipe and there is a pin or tiny hook coming through the hole on that one. This leads me to believe that there might have been packing or something in the tailpipe that the PO discarded and that it wouldn't make much sense for me to spend cash on repairing it if it isn't going to fully function. 

Does anyone know what is/was in there? Can I weld it up and run it as is? Will missing something in there screw up compression?

I'm attaching photos to make sense of this.

I don't love the idea of ditching the stock emblems on the tailpipes but the black chrome on the headers is badly pitted and I am thinking I am going to have to paint them anyway, so maybe it makes sense to get fresh tailpipes while I'm at it. I'm open to any recommendations.

Thanks,
B

1983 KZ750N2 Spectre
Baltimore, Maryland - USA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2022 17:17 #864775 by ghostdive
Replied by ghostdive on topic Mystery Stock Exhaust Question
My N1 has the same holes, I think they might be drains. I had the same thing happen to one of my mufflers and I didn't notice anything inside...I'd just not worry about it. 

If you do decide to get different mufflers or a new exhaust, you could drill out the rivets of your emblems and pop them onto the new can/s.

1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R
The following user(s) said Thank You: McThing

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
02 Apr 2022 17:21 - 02 Apr 2022 17:30 #864776 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Mystery Stock Exhaust Question
The tiny holes are for draining moisture condansation out of the mufflers on cold starts or short bike trips.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2022 17:30 by Scirocco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: McThing

• McThing
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
02 Apr 2022 21:13 #864786 by McThing
Replied by McThing on topic Mystery Stock Exhaust Question
That’s excellent news. I mean except that now I gotta figure out what’s clogging the “good” pipe! (Actually, I just popped it out with the tip of a needle nose plier and nothing fell apart, so that’s good news, too)

All right, off the the welder they go.

Many thanks as always. This bike is starting to take shape. :-)
Brion

1983 KZ750N2 Spectre
Baltimore, Maryland - USA