Oil pressure gusge

More
14 Mar 2022 16:37 - 14 Mar 2022 16:45 #863806 by Missile2511
Oil pressure gusge was created by Missile2511
Hello all,
I have a project kz650b3 that has not run in some time. I am concerned that all I have to show oil pressure on first start up is the idiot light. Is there another way to verify oil pressure on first start?
Thanks,
Joe
Last edit: 14 Mar 2022 16:45 by Missile2511.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2022 18:00 #863807 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic Oil pressure gusge
The 'idiot light' should really be sufficient. Oil pressure will typically be at its lowest at idle once warmed up. The oil pressure increases with revs, so the first sign that your oil pressure is going bad is that you will see the light start to turn on at idle once warmed up. If the light is off at idle, the oil pressure is almost certainly fine at higher rpms.

There is of course the case when the oil pressure sender is faulty. When this happens they're usually always-on or always-off which is pretty easy to diagnose. I you want to be sure, you can get another switch.

If you want to be really certain or want to know your exact pressure, you can unwind the oil sender, and wind in a gauge sender and plug in a gauge for testing. Check the thread as you may need an adapter, some of them are big (20mm or so), but I think the 650 and 750 engines have a more normal metric thread for the sender unit.

1981 KZ750 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
15 Mar 2022 16:46 #863843 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Oil pressure gusge
Agree with Irish.  The oil pump is foolproof, so don't worry about it.  Adding a gauge, with related plumbing, will add more possible leak locations, thus defeating its purpose.