Turbo??? Yay or Nay

More
15 Feb 2022 12:30 #862428 by Olbeedo
Turbo??? Yay or Nay was created by Olbeedo
i am considering doing a turbo set up on the Z1 build but I am not even sure if it is worth the trouble or the mulla. Is there a major HP benefit to turbo over just Big Blocking the 900 motor, also can I use turbo on stock motor or must it be built? Thanks Guys

OlBeedo- KZ for Life........................
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZmarcel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
15 Feb 2022 12:49 - 15 Feb 2022 12:51 #862429 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic Turbo??? Yay or Nay
If you want to build a totally bonkers Z1 then a turbo is absolutely the way to go.  You can make all the power you dare to make once you can force air into the engine.

However, the cost and effort will be very high. There was a time when you could order a full turbo kit and bolt it on.  I don't know of anyone making one currently.  So you're either stuck with a ton of fabrication work or hunting for rare vintage parts.  

It would be much more straight forward to build a big block motor.  Those are all parts you can just call someone and order.  Plus the tuning process for an NA motor is simpler.  

As for bolt on, the '78 Z1R-TC was a bolt on kit for the stock Z1R.  The TC was sold with stock Z1R engine internals.  The lowish compression ratio (8.7:1) and stock cams are actually probably not bad for a turbo setup  The one modification that was recommended for the Z1R-TC engines was to weld the crankshaft.  Of course they didn't actually come that way...

Engine cooling can be a problem in either case (turbo or big block).  But you can get yourself into trouble much faster with a turbo.

Here is a thread with a scratch-built turbo setup:   www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/612980...bo-e85-build?start=0

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
Last edit: 15 Feb 2022 12:51 by DOHC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZmarcel

More
15 Feb 2022 15:35 #862435 by Elfarm98648
Replied by Elfarm98648 on topic Turbo??? Yay or Nay
There’s a turbo kit for a KZ750 on EBay right now. I’m sure with modification it could fit a Z1000, I know for sure the exhaust spacing is different however the kit would be a very good place to start. With enough welding anything will work! 

ID: 234409935746
paste that number into eBay and it will pull up

More
15 Feb 2022 21:32 - 15 Feb 2022 21:41 #862446 by Injected
Replied by Injected on topic Turbo??? Yay or Nay
The magazines back in the day put the 1015cc Z1R-TC at about 130HP @ 8500RPM. To expect that kind of power output from a air cooled KZ motor you still need to do some of the "good" practice motor rebuild aftermarket part upgrades on it you would put into a big block build (HD studs/nuts, weld crank, O ring head gasket)
What you would put into the turbo and plumbing you would spend on cams/valves/porting on the big block build.
A naturally aspirated big block build is usually over 1260cc and you can expect to make over 130HP at that base level. There are limits to the big block on the street plan as there is a point you would be maxed out on power output whereas with the turbo if you have a way of upping the boost pressure you can make more horsepower just by adjusting the tuning parameters.
To match a turbo motors output the big block build would become so wild that it would not be advisable to ride it on the street. The turbo is the more street friendly option as in low RPM riding around it acts much like a stock machine.
It is a known fact that boosted motors have more horsepower potential with less cubic inch displacement.
It just comes down to personal preference on which way to go. If you want to go faster than stock on a KZ its going to cost you in either situation.
Last edit: 15 Feb 2022 21:41 by Injected.

More
16 Feb 2022 07:10 #862455 by 73z1
Replied by 73z1 on topic Turbo??? Yay or Nay
There is a 1100cc turbo z1 on ebay now, been listed for several months.
ebay.com/itm/203499778692

More
16 Feb 2022 11:28 #862463 by Olbeedo
Replied by Olbeedo on topic Turbo??? Yay or Nay
well Turbo is way out of my mechanical ability if I must fabricate and I'd rather do a build I can at the least participate in, so I'm thinking big block. My question is how big can I go without adding an oil cooler, I'd prefer not to as I really do not care for the look.

More
16 Feb 2022 11:37 #862464 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Turbo??? Yay or Nay
Street Fighter LTD is a turbo guy. I’m surprised he hasn’t posted yet.  

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

More
16 Feb 2022 11:57 - 16 Feb 2022 12:20 #862465 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Turbo??? Yay or Nay
I've built several turbo and supercharged motors and am currently building another Z1R turbo.
When adding either, expect to spend a similar amount on the engine as you would when building a big bore motor and then add the cost of the turbo kit on top.
With the turbo you can use stock cams and don't really need much head work so that would offset some of the additional cost of the turbo.
An average 1075cc turbo motor will be capable of anything up to around 250hp at the wheel.
You should also add a billet second gear to the shopping list as the stock one is a known weakspot when subjected to more power and will destroy the gearbox and even split the crankcases when it fails and you should also factor in the cost of a boost retard ignition system too.Dyna 2000 etc.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 16 Feb 2022 12:20 by zed1015.

More
16 Feb 2022 13:00 #862469 by Olbeedo
Replied by Olbeedo on topic Turbo??? Yay or Nay
I really think the Turbo aspec t is out of my league, I will look into a big block build, now shoule i keep the 900 motor as is and build a big block from a 1000 motor or doesn't it matter?

More
16 Feb 2022 13:45 - 16 Feb 2022 13:45 #862470 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Turbo??? Yay or Nay

I really think the Turbo aspec t is out of my league, I will look into a big block build, now shoule i keep the 900 motor as is and build a big block from a 1000 motor or doesn't it matter?
Apart from the bore size the 1000 is pretty much the same engine so it doesn't really matter and both would need the exactly the same work for a big block or larger liners.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 16 Feb 2022 13:45 by zed1015.

• Buzz Nichols
  • Sustaining Member
More
16 Feb 2022 15:47 #862471 by Buzz Nichols
Replied by Buzz Nichols on topic Turbo??? Yay or Nay

There is a 1100cc turbo z1 on ebay now, been listed for several months.
ebay.com/itm/203499778692

I've been eyeing that bike—and my bank account ;)
For what it is, that doesn't seem like all that crazy a price. Certainly a lot of scratch for a bike that you'd immediately have to tear down the motor, but still...

Is this thing working? Is this thing on?

1978 KZ1000 LTD

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
17 Feb 2022 07:26 #862484 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Turbo??? Yay or Nay

Street Fighter LTD is a turbo guy. I’m surprised he hasn’t posted yet.  

Hi All
On vacation in sunny Florida    87 here today  
Just saw this ..
Turbo's rule !!!!!   BUT    No kits new currently being offered
So if you can't find one used or fab your own   no joy..
Remembering these are  antique  bikes  in reality  a smart motor is one that will live a long time and not break parts.
Then build from  there
Dave

PS  Glad Im not home shoveling snow

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn