Yet another Clutch question...

More
03 Feb 2022 15:09 - 03 Feb 2022 15:12 #861747 by idmurp
Yet another Clutch question... was created by idmurp
97 KZ1000p project

Came to me in boxes, bottom end and clutch done but the rest has been assembled by me

Engines now runs and almost ready for MOT(Road worthy inspection in the UK).  but I cant get the clutch to disengage.

I have taken the plates out and soaked them in oil, they were not stuck, came out nicely

I have adjusted the clutch and got a few mm movement in the plates with the cover off, any more and it over adjusts and I get the clunk and need to reset the 3 ball bearings, have done this twice so far.  With the max movement I before I over adjusted I pulled the clutch and tried to break it free, couldn't break it free.  

To break free I put the bike in gear, pulled the clutch and drag it forward and back, I either turn the engine over or drag the back wheel.  

Not started it in gear or ran it with it in gear, its locked solid don't want to break something.

Before I strip the basket out on Saturday and see how that works, am I doing something stupid?  Never worked on a bike clutch before.  

Attached a video but not sure it survived the format conversion

1992 KZ1000p in pieces
Attachments:

clutch.mov

Last edit: 03 Feb 2022 15:12 by idmurp.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ojisan rider
  • Sustaining Member
More
03 Feb 2022 22:43 - 03 Feb 2022 22:45 #861759 by Ojisan rider
Replied by Ojisan rider on topic Yet another Clutch question...
Wrong clutch pushrod? Missing ball at the end of rod?

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2022 22:45 by Ojisan rider.

More
04 Feb 2022 00:17 #861760 by idmurp
Replied by idmurp on topic Yet another Clutch question...

Wrong clutch pushrod? Missing ball at the end of rod

Don't believe the 97 has a bearing on push rod, wrong clutch pushrod is a possibility.  Can I just pull that out to measure without breaking anything?

1992 KZ1000p in pieces

More
04 Feb 2022 05:37 #861769 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Yet another Clutch question...
There are several different adjustments that need to be managed: cable length via nut in middle, ramp adjustment, cable at the hand control.  From the sound of things, the cable length is too long, which is causing the ramp balls to jump over the top of it's travel.  

More
04 Feb 2022 08:37 #861780 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic Yet another Clutch question...
maybe it's been done already, when adjusting the clutch, try counterclockwise first until hard to turn, then clockwise 1/4 turn or whatever the manual says.

More
04 Feb 2022 10:23 #861787 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Yet another Clutch question...
and the adjustments must be done in the order listed in the factory service manual.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
04 Feb 2022 13:35 #861801 by idmurp
I did the tighten the bolt until hard and then backed it off.  Adjusted with the nut in the middle until I had the movement in the video, and then tightened it gradually on the handlebar testing it until I eventually over did it and got the clunk.

Its quite possible I have it adjusted wrong, but I dont think so.  Ill go back to the start with the manual tomorrow and give it another go anyway.  

Cheers all

1992 KZ1000p in pieces

More
04 Feb 2022 14:21 - 04 Feb 2022 14:22 #861802 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic Yet another Clutch question...
clockwise 1st or counterclockwise? it does matter. mine is ccw 1st. some manuals don't say which way. 
Last edit: 04 Feb 2022 14:22 by H1Vindicator.

More
05 Feb 2022 15:44 #861850 by idmurp
I don't actually remember CW or CCW.

Have stripped it down and put back together today.  With the clutch cover off I can see the clutch is working, but its really hard to rotate the wheel with clutch disengaged, with clutch engaged its even harder as I'm turning the engine over.  I'm hoping that this will improve once its full of oil and been run in.

1992 KZ1000p in pieces