Engine locks when starting

More
15 Dec 2021 07:12 - 15 Dec 2021 07:14 #859099 by ghostdive
Engine locks when starting was created by ghostdive
Hi, so, when I hit the starter it turns over fast, but then hits a point and stays there - pressing the button again just makes a brief straining sound.

If I put the bike in first then rock it back once or twice, it starts just fine - if I rock it back before I try starting at all, works fine too. My first thought was gas in the cylinders, but my oil level is stable and it happens if I turn off the petcock, and it happened whej the carbs were totally drained. 

Confession: I'm talking about my recently acquired ZX-6R. I hope you'll have some ideas despite that. Coolant level seems the same, but maaaybe it's leaking into the cylinder? Can't see down the spark plug holes without a probe camera. I'm also wondering if it's a weak starter or battery - new good quality battery but you never know. It starts fine once I get it going, whether it's warmed up or still cold. 

Thanks for reading. 

1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R
  • Last edit: 15 Dec 2021 07:14 by ghostdive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hardrockminer
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    15 Dec 2021 09:06 #859103 by hardrockminer
    Replied by hardrockminer on topic Engine locks when starting
    How is your battery?

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

• Street Fighter LTD
    • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
    More
    15 Dec 2021 10:19 #859108 by Street Fighter LTD
    Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Engine locks when starting
    Battery and connections first.
    If motor was hydrolocked  you would have found it by now by checking crankcase level and by pulling plugs,
    Possible bad spot on starter , but doubt it.
    Nice bike
    Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
    Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• gd4now
    • User
    • Denco where did you go?
    More
    15 Dec 2021 13:35 #859118 by gd4now
    Replied by gd4now on topic Engine locks when starting
    As streetfitgher indicated check the battery and connections as they are pretty easy to check.  Second it could be the starter clutch, which makes a rather distractive sound.  I am sure that I am not telling you anything you do not know, but the starter system is by far the largest draw on the electrical system.  At this point I would put up a link to a page on the motorcycleproject.com about making and using a high current shunt.  But that page is no longer active on the site.  I pulled down this pdf from there in the past and converted it jpg files it makes sense to me and appears to be easy to make and use.  Using it will tell you if it is a battery or starter issue. To use it does require a VOM.  Anyway here is what was there in the past. 

1977 KZ650 B1
    Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

• Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DOHC
    • Sustaining Member
    • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
    More
    15 Dec 2021 19:50 #859147 by DOHC
    Replied by DOHC on topic Engine locks when starting
    The info from gd4now is very useful.  I like the idea of making a shunt to measure the battery current.

It seems like the key point would be to figure out if the current is very high or fairly low during that time when you say it "just makes a brief straining sound."  

If the current is very high, the starter and starter clutch are likely working correctly, but the crankshaft is mechanically stuck or blocked by something.  This would be bad, I'm pretty sure...  

If the current is low, then you could have an issue with a number of components, such as the battery, starter (brushes, commutator, etc.), starter solenoid, some other electrical bit. 
    The starter clutch was mentioned, but I think that would sound different than what you describe.

Does it stick with the bike in neutral?  Are you rocking it back and forth with the bike in neutral?

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
    My dad's '74 Z1
    '00 ZRX1100

More
    15 Dec 2021 20:22 #859151 by ghostdive
    Replied by ghostdive on topic Engine locks when starting
    Thanks for the shunt info gd4now, I'll have fun using that to test. 

I haven't checked my resting/cranking voltage at the battery, so I'll start there. I took the bike out to a friend's house and was there for almost 4 hours - long enough to need choke again to hold idle - and it started immediately.

DOHC, I put it into first and rock backwards a couple times, spinning the engine backwards.

If this is an electrical problem, I'm curious as to why it's solved by the reverse action...I suppose we'll find out soon. 

2001 ZX-6R

More
    18 Dec 2021 09:25 #859266 by Ian_B
    Replied by Ian_B on topic Engine locks when starting
    I'd also eliminate the fluid locking (be it fuel, oil or coolant). If that was the case, then the engine wouldn't make a single full revolution. You say it spins over first and then "locks".

I'd also be looking at battery, wiring, starter motor.

• F64
    • Away
    • User
    • 81-KZ440D2
    More
    19 Dec 2021 11:19 - 19 Dec 2021 11:21 #859306 by F64
    Replied by F64 on topic Engine locks when starting
    How often does this happen? Every time you start the bike without rolling it?
    Has the bike done this ever since you acquired it?
    How long will it crank normally before it hits the spot? 1 second? 2 seconds?...
    Does it consistently hit the spot each time you hit the starter button?

Do a voltmeter test
    DC V
    key on-ignition on-engine not running
    black probe on negative battery post
    red probe on positive battery post
    note voltage

press the starter button
    note voltage

turn off bike

81-KZ440-D2.
    Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
    Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
    LIC, NY
    Last edit: 19 Dec 2021 11:21 by F64.

• Scirocco
    • Premium Member
    • Never change a running system
    More
    19 Dec 2021 13:33 #859314 by Scirocco
    Replied by Scirocco on topic Engine locks when starting
    It´s not an electric problem!!!  Had the same problem like you on my Hayabusa, new battery, jump starting, no way.
    Three of four glued magnets broke loose from e-starter housing and block the starter rotor from turning over!!!

kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/610443-ho...arter-housing#802131

• Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    29 Jan 2022 12:46 #861383 by ghostdive
    Replied by ghostdive on topic Engine locks when starting
    Thank you to all who chimed in with ideas; I plan to check them all out, but honestly...it's been under 20 degrees since posting this and I'm not as resilient to it as I was last year (oh, to be 24 again...!)

Anyway, the situation has - for now - resolved itself. 
    I noticed that the rubber cover for the positive terminal was off, so I put it back on and it starts no problem now. It feels too good to be true, hence my decision to check everything you've mentioned once it warms up a bit, but here we are. 

Thanks again everyone. I'll update if anything changes or I find any other culprits. 

2001 ZX-6R
  • The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD