Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Oil Drain Plug 12 Nov 2021 00:17 #857828

• GPzed11
  • GPzed11's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Quick question - kz1000 1982 - Oil Drain plug size. 
Pretty sure the bolt I have is not the genuine part, with two copper washers it still doesn't want to go in enough to seal, and  I don't want to crank down any harder on it. 
Can anyone tell me the bolt specs?  it's M12 thread, the length is the issue. I'm guessing 1.5mm.
Also to clarify, this has the oil drain separate from the oil filter cover. 
Also checking that it is a regular bolt and not the type with a groove and o-ring. 

Local dealership don't stock drain plugs(!) and I'm not keen to wait for one so I will buy a generic automotive one if I know the right length. 

Gpz1100/1000J
Fraser Coast Qld Australia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by GPzed11.

Oil Drain Plug 12 Nov 2021 12:01 #857842

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1630
This may not be much help.  The oil pan diagram for the 82 1000J lists 2 types of oil drain plugs & either an o-ring or gasket. 
I assume the 92066-1174 M12 drain plug requires a gasket, while the other one has a groove for the o-ring. 
My 81 KZ650-CSR uses the same M12x15 drain plug & gasket listed for the 1000J. I get generic M12 aluminum gaskets from the auto parts store.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...eather-cover-oil-pan

ps:  if someone used the wrong oil drain plug, then the threads could be messed up. just in case. be sure to use a torque wrench.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPzed11

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Oil Drain Plug 12 Nov 2021 19:18 #857867

• GPzed11
  • User
Thanks, it was the two different types that had me confused. Now I've drained it again I realise it's a 14mm thread plug, so someone's had a go at it in the past. The thread is in good condition, and is a fine thread compared with what the parts store has. It doesn;t have the flange style head so I am going to run a metal washer at the head, then a crush washer against the sump. The small things that slow doen a bigger project! 
Gpz1100/1000J

Oil Drain Plug 12 Nov 2021 23:44 #857870

• david richard
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
hi on this type of bolt have you thought of a dowty sealing washer they work very well .

Oil Drain Plug 13 Nov 2021 03:39 #857871

• GPzed11
  • User
I hadnt heard of a dowty washer before, now that I know what it is I reckon it will fix my problem if the crush washer I installed today doesn't.  Haven't filled the oil yet to test it, waiting to pick up a torque wrench in the morning to tighten the plug. 
Gpz1100/1000J

Oil Drain Plug 13 Nov 2021 06:48 #857873

• david richard
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
hi the beauty of it is you dont have to go over tight on the torque to make them seal ,i always use a little copper grease on the thread ,you'll get it ,dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPzed11

• Page: