Installing headers with flanges + springs

More
03 Nov 2021 17:23 #857357 by GPzed11
I haven't been here for a while but I am getting my 1000 back on the road and have come to the exhaust now.
Any clues on the best way to seal exhausts to the head when they are the spring located type? It;s been maybe 10 years since I last did this, looks like I used loads of heat proof goo last time to seal the flanges to the exhaust ports, and then the springs locate the actual headers, but from memory  I was never happy with the seal. Don't know the brand of the pipes.
I will be fitting new nuts and springs, keen to hear of best way to set these up. 

Gpz1100/1000J
Fraser Coast Qld Australia
  • Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    03 Nov 2021 19:00 #857362 by TexasKZ
    Replied by TexasKZ on topic Installing headers with flanges + springs
    Is there a reason to not use the factory gaskets?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
    1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
    2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
    The following user(s) said Thank You: GPzed11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    03 Nov 2021 19:25 #857364 by Dr. Gamma
    Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic Installing headers with flanges + springs
    Your pipe should have spigots that mount to the head and then your pipe fits into those four spigots. If thats the case the very first thing you have to do is make sure the end of the pipe fits all the way down into each spigot. You can't have any type of rust or buildup on the area of the pipe that fits into those spigots. Same with area on each spigot where the pipe fits into them. The spigots should slide easily onto the pipe.
    On my Bassani pipe I mount the spigots to the head using the stock exhaust gaskets. I have never used any type of sealant like silicone on the spigots or on the ends of the pipe that fits into those spigots. What you really need are springs with tons of tension. That is really what holds the pipe into the spigots. I use springs from a 1975 or '76 KX125 exhaust. I think the part number is 18071-003 from Kawasaki. I can only mount these springs using the spring tool you see pictured below!!!!! You are not going to mount these springs in place with just a pair of pliers. Hardware store springs are not going to be strong enough to hold your pipe in place. You need springs that have that much tension to hold your pipe in place. Or it will start leaking exhaust gases!!!!

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
    1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
    1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
    1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
    1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
  • The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

More
    03 Nov 2021 20:02 #857366 by GPzed11
    Replied by GPzed11 on topic Installing headers with flanges + springs
    Awesome, thank you! This makes a lot of sense - The springs are definately the weak link, Thanks for the photo too, I like the way yours has the narrow steel flange with a hole drilled for the spring, where mine has a thick alloy flange which distots, plus a small tab for the spring. I can clearly see how to improve the setup now.
     I'll be ordering a spring removal tool also.

Gpz1100/1000J
    Fraser Coast Qld Australia