Engine noise due to lubrication

• Sayonara
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • The faster the better
More
23 Oct 2021 16:34 #856961 by Sayonara
Engine noise due to lubrication was created by Sayonara
Hello I have a new 1260 engine I put like 200 miles on it , on the way back home I hear this clanking sound in the engine, opened valve cover checked valves clearances and all the lobes for wear and everything looks in specs, while inspecting I noticed that the hose going from the engine to the cooler was in a position that was obstructing oil passage so I replaced it with a raided one to avoid the same thing to happen but the clink clink clink clink, sound still coming from the engine sounds like cam chain kind of sound, so the question is if it run on low lubrication where could have caused damage/ piston skirts? where the noise could be coming from? 
I should have used braided lines from day one those rubber ones with the heat can cause bending causing obstruction

I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
23 Oct 2021 17:22 #856964 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Engine noise due to lubrication
What kind of engine you are talking about?
A short video would help to locate the clinking sound.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Oct 2021 05:09 #856975 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Engine noise due to lubrication
If you think you ran the engine for 200 miles without proper lubrication you probably will need to tear it completely down and inspect everything.  Have you done a compression test? 

My first thought would be something in the top end where lubrication was lacking, because the bottom end would be getting splash oil from the rotating crank.  It might be a connecting rod at the piston end though.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
24 Oct 2021 07:41 #856977 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic Engine noise due to lubrication
Sure isn't much of a description here.  When is this noise most prevalent?  Does it make noise when the engine is cold, or just hot?  Many times major engine noises sound like a knock instead of a "clink", but valve train noise could be a "clink" sound.  Best case would be to try and post an audio recording of the noise and a better description of when it is occurring with on-set of noise.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

• Sayonara
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • The faster the better
More
09 Nov 2021 06:40 #857715 by Sayonara
Replied by Sayonara on topic Engine noise due to lubrication
Ok I can't make a video to record the sound as I already took the engine off the frame and fitted a new one for the time being, the noise sound like when the cam chain in not high, I have tightened the cam chain, it does since the engine start cold, compression test came out 150-150-150-135 the engine done 2000 miles since rebuild but I did a 54 miles ride when it the noice started. I guess a low quality rubber hose that bended obstructing proper oil flow to the cooler, replaced already with braided line, should have done that since the beginning.
I think it might be the crank or oil pump but until I tear it can't really check, thanks for the input

I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.