Starter clutch

More
21 Oct 2021 20:04 #856900 by Bobberblues
Starter clutch was created by Bobberblues
My bike is a 1978 KZ650B, when I try to use the electric starter, it tries to turn the engine over but won’t, if I pull the spark plugs out, it turns it over fine. Is the clutch the problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2021 04:53 #856907 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Starter clutch
Can you hear the starter motor turning only the engine won't spin?  If so, that sounds like the starter clutch.  When that happens a funny noise usually occurs at the same time.

More
22 Oct 2021 06:27 - 22 Oct 2021 09:42 #856912 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Starter clutch
Just in case. make sure the battery is good & fully charged. you never know sometimes. 
I check the battery w a digital multimeter & do a high beam load test. Ctek US 0.8 smart charger & VC97 meter.

ps: my scorpion AGM battery tested 12.6+ VDC after charging the other day but wouldn't start the motorcycle. it was bad. voltage dropped below 10 VDC when pressing the start button.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2021 09:42 by martin_csr.

More
22 Oct 2021 06:32 #856913 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Starter clutch
If it is a case of the starter turning very slowly, or not turning the engine at all, it could be a weak battery or poor electrical connections. Much less likely, but still possible, is the starter motor may need repairing.

If as Nessism said, the starter motor is running and there is a grinding or rocks rattling in a can sound, the starter clutch is the likely culprit.

To test the battery, connect your volt meter to the battery terminals, not the cables. With the key off, note the voltage. Ideally, the reading should be 13.2. If it is less than 12, the battery is undercharged, or bad.
Turn the ignition key to the on position. If the reading falls more than a few tenths, there is a bd connection or the battery is bad.
Now press the starter button and note the reading. If the reading drops into the single digits, the battery is bad.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
22 Oct 2021 06:36 #856914 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Starter clutch
Definitely make sure the battery is fully charged before testing.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
22 Oct 2021 21:14 #856942 by Bobberblues
Replied by Bobberblues on topic Starter clutch
Yes, the starter will turn the engine over if I pull the plugs out, but won’t with the plugs in. It tries to, but makes a funny noise and just doesn’t turn the engine over. The battery is fully charged and has 13.4 v. Doesn’t drop much when turning engine over without plugs. So, I too believe it is the starter clutch. I don’t know much about motorcycles, but I am an auto mechanic, so I do have mechanical skills, but motorcycles are new to me. I bought the bike and it wasn’t running. There is some wiring problems and burned out coils, also I think the ignition modules are bad. Not sure, don’t know how to test them. They are Dyna S. I got most of the wiring figured out with a wiring diagram. There is no turn signals, no fuse box, no relays anywhere on the bike. It has been “chopped” into a bobber style. I need help to get it all back to street legal.

Attachment not found

More
23 Oct 2021 17:07 #856963 by Bobberblues
[justify]I am sorry, I didn’t get your reply for some reason. I probably hit the wrong button or something. Please reply back again.[/justify]

More
24 Oct 2021 16:39 #857008 by Bobberblues
Yes, the starter makes a funny sound when I try to start it and won’t turn the engine over. It will when the spark plugs are out just fine.