Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Transmission swap kz 650b/750h 11 Aug 2021 17:37 #853615

• Provie97
  • Provie97's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello fellas. I’ve got a question about swapping transmissions between a 1977 kz650b and a “82 kz750h. I’m wanting the bigger 750 engine w/ the kickstart transmission of the 650. The question would be, is it possible?  And thanks in advance for any feedback. I would like to post pics of the cafe racer I made out of the 650 but I can’t seem to figure it out
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Transmission swap kz 650b/750h 11 Aug 2021 17:39 #853616

• Provie97
  • User
I think I got the picture thing finally 

Transmission swap kz 650b/750h 11 Aug 2021 18:51 #853618

• Provie97
  • User
I found what I was needing in a recent post. I’m new to the forum so I’m still learning how to get around. I appreciate your patients. 

Transmission swap kz 650b/750h 11 Aug 2021 19:16 #853620

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 396
The kick start mechanism is separate from the transmission, to put the kick start from a 650 onto a 750 is easy as long as the engine cases have the cast bosses to mount the kick start.

On the 80-81 motors I believe those bosses may even be tapped out from the factory, I don't know for sure because I have never checked those years of cases. You would need to check the lower case to be sure they are there before proceeding.

I do know that my 82 750N Spectre motor had indents where the bolt holes would be but they were not tapped. There is also a striker that bolts to the bottom case that needs to be there to catch a pawl on the ratchet, those bosses were there but they were not tapped. You can only access the striker bosses by splitting the engine cases.
The only thing I found missing was the boss for the wire spring that keeps tension on the mechanism, it was completely missing on the 82 lower case - you can check this by removing the clutch cover. I am not sure a way around that issue, maybe bolting/welding one in there - it does need to be strong.

If you do a search on here this question has been asked and answered before.

Can I ask why the kick start is so important? The later engines came with a stronger starter motor because there was no kick lever.

Last edit: by Injected.
  • Page: