TOPIC:

Gear selection post rebuild 31 Jul 2021 14:16 #852917

• Jim369bikes
  • Jim369bikes's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello folks,

Could do with some wisdom please.  

I have a kz750 E1 1981, just put the crankcases back together and decide I should check gear selection, I did check it when apart and seemed ok. I have not put in the secondary clutch and nothing else is causing an obstruction. I have the following questions

When in neutral both the input and output transmissions will rotate freely but not independently.  This does not make sense in my head but may well be correct. 

I cannot select 1st gear. Just won’t go in solid block feel

when in gear 2-3-4-5 both the transmissions will rotate 1/2 to 3/4 turn depending on which gear it’s in, the higher the gear the more movement. It then hits something solid, I am guessing a dog not fully engaged? 

I can’t see away that you could put the transmissions in wrong and close the crankcase, I am pretty sure the gear selector and forks are correct but this could be the problem. First build so don’t no what normal is. Don’t want to go any further until I am happy it’s correct. 

6494588682...097E.MOV

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jim369bikes.

Gear selection post rebuild 31 Jul 2021 16:33 #852924

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1896
Split the case and check the shift fork positions. Looks like a pair of gear dogs collide in the wrong positon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: