Crappy exhaust remedy?

More
21 May 2021 19:23 #848842 by kawirider
Crappy exhaust remedy? was created by kawirider
Good evening all, I am nearing the end of fixing up an old project '78 kz650b2 but I am stuck with a nasty exhaust leak at the head. A few years back I purchased probably the cheapest exhaust option, the MAC 4-1, to just get the bike road-worthy again. A few years and some(?) wisdom later, I have revisited the exhaust by doubling up on gaskets and layering it all with copper rtv. (I even degreased and lightly wire-brushed the gaskets before the install). This still results in a leak at the head from improper flange seating on my #3 header. Has anyone had any success with the MAC 4-1 exhaust?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2021 02:33 #848847 by 750 R1
Replied by 750 R1 on topic Crappy exhaust remedy?
I just put a new Mac on my sons 650 I also used two sets of copper exhaust gaskets, left the originals in place and put new ones in front, no leaks, It did leak with just one set of gaskets, I also hate the tinny note it puts out so we are going with an alloy muffler I have spare, just have to sort out a new mid pipe...

More
22 May 2021 07:10 - 22 May 2021 07:17 #848857 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Crappy exhaust remedy?
I don't know the best fix.  Have you checked the header tips w a straight edge?   
What are the chances a muffler shop could straighten them? (without damaging the surfaces)?
Last edit: 22 May 2021 07:17 by martin_csr.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
22 May 2021 11:35 #848869 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Crappy exhaust remedy?
Not saying this is the issue, but some of the aftermarket pipes require a longer or shorter split collars.to make a good seal.  Have also read here and else where that the copper gaskets for some of the Suzuki bikes work better than those for the Kaw bikes. 

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

More
22 May 2021 21:26 #848889 by kawirider
Replied by kawirider on topic Crappy exhaust remedy?

I just put a new Mac on my sons 650 I also used two sets of copper exhaust gaskets, left the originals in place and put new ones in front, no leaks, It did leak with just one set of gaskets, I also hate the tinny note it puts out so we are going with an alloy muffler I have spare, just have to sort out a new mid pipe...

Did the mac exhaust for your son's bike accept the oem split collars?

More
23 May 2021 17:07 #848917 by 750 R1
Replied by 750 R1 on topic Crappy exhaust remedy?

Did the mac exhaust for your son's bike accept the oem split collars?

More
24 May 2021 06:00 #848936 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic Crappy exhaust remedy?
FYI, the Suzuki exhaust gaskets that were mentioned have a  gasket material in them that is sandwiched between copper.  I tried them on my KZ-1000 but they were too thick for me to get the exhaust nuts started.  They probably would have worked great but unless I install longer exhaust studs I will never know.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
24 May 2021 07:44 #848941 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Crappy exhaust remedy?
Agree longer studs or shorter split collars would be a solution. 

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT