Got my original crank back in (the0 sink

• urankjj
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
09 May 2021 17:31 #848277 by urankjj
Dug out of storage, is my original crankshaft from my 77 KZ1000 A model. I put it in-sink just for pics. Should I attempt to clean it, or just wrap it back up for later usage or sale ?  Thanks.....
  • Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    09 May 2021 18:23 #848278 by Nessism

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    09 May 2021 19:07 #848279 by 750 R1
    Replied by 750 R1 on topic Got my original crank back in (the0 sink
    I would sand /clean /wire wheel all the rust of it, clean it with WD40 or similar, oil it and wrap it in clear plastic film, I just use regular old sandwich wrap, works for me and keeps all the air out....

• hardrockminer
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    09 May 2021 20:33 #848284 by hardrockminer
    Replied by hardrockminer on topic Got my original crank back in (the0 sink
    Be very careful if you clean it to avoid any rust or dirt getting into the bearings.  FWIW...I wouldn't bother cleaning it but I would oil up the bearings to avoid them from rusting.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
    09 May 2021 22:13 #848286 by 750 R1
    Replied by 750 R1 on topic Got my original crank back in (the0 sink

Be very careful if you clean it to avoid any rust or dirt getting into the bearings.  FWIW...I wouldn't bother cleaning it but I would oil up the bearings to avoid them from rusting.
    Good point , but I'd still clean it all up, if it went to a shop for a clean it wouldn't stop them, just be diligent about cleaning the bearings properly...

• Dragbike_Mike
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    10 May 2021 06:20 #848293 by Dragbike_Mike
    Replied by Dragbike_Mike on topic Got my original crank back in (the0 sink

Agree with HRM's advice.  Dirt/grit/abrasive particles are the absolute enemy of rolling element bearings.  And, once that stuff gets into your bearings, you'll never know if you got all of it out without disassembling the crank and fully cleaning (and I see that your's is welded up, which adds more effort to the process).  So, either don't clean or do a very minimal clean and definitely oil up the bearings.

Also, the one pic seems to show rust in the wristpin bores?  If so, this could be a problem as, even under good conditions, the wristpin bores seem to be prone to galling if used in a high output situation - a rough, rusted surface will only aggravate this problem.  This is why the wristpin bores get bronze bushed in a race spec crank.  

One last thought - back in the day, I used to store my cranks submerged in oil.  I'd buy the large, flat, Rubbermaid containers and fill with cheap bulk oil.  A bit of a PITA, but I looked at it as cheap insurance.

Hope that this helps a little.

Mike

Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
    In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.

• urankjj
    • Topic Author
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    10 May 2021 08:28 #848301 by urankjj
    Replied by urankjj on topic Got my original crank back in (the0 sink
    Thanks for the advise guys. I'll always have an interesting door stop if nothing else...