Tachometer drive gear grease

• DOHC
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
09 May 2021 13:36 #848266 by DOHC
Tachometer drive gear grease was created by DOHC
I adjusted the valve clearance on my '78 Z1R, and I also replaced the seal and o-ring for the tachometer drive.  The FSM says to "apply a small amount of high temperature grease to the tachometer pinion shaft."  

Any recommendations for what type of grease to use?  I'm not sure what type of grease is compatible with engine oil.  Also, I'm not sure if the intent it to just protect the tach gear on startup, with the idea that whatever is applied to the tach gear would be washed away by the engine oil, or if they expect that grease to stay put.  Based on where the shaft seal is, the grease would be exposed to engine oil, so I'm guessing it would be washed out eventually?

My first though was to just use engine oil or assembly lube, like Permatex Ultra Slick.  I have some of that and a few other similar products.  But assembly lube is designed to be washed out, so would not be right if the intent is for the grease to stay put.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
  • Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    09 May 2021 14:23 #848267 by 73z1
    Replied by 73z1 on topic Tachometer drive gear grease
    Grease helps the oring seal.
    Grease helps the seal seal (dry shaft and dry seal can burn and wear rapidly)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    09 May 2021 14:52 #848268 by Mikaw
    Replied by Mikaw on topic Tachometer drive gear grease
    Nessism recommend Molykote 111 for assembling and sealing carburetor O-Rings. Not sure about shaft to housing though, it’s kinda thick. Just a suggestion. 

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
    1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
    1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
    1980 KZ 750 E1
    Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
    Jimi Hendrix.

• DOHC
    • Topic Author
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    09 May 2021 15:11 #848269 by DOHC
    Replied by DOHC on topic Tachometer drive gear grease

Grease helps the oring seal.
    Grease helps the seal seal (dry shaft and dry seal can burn and wear rapidly)
    Sure, I understand why you want grease there.  The question is what specific kind of grease should go there? 

I have a shelf with at least 20 tubs/tubes of grease, but as far as I know the only one that is designed to end up in the oil pan is assembly lube.  I'm guessing wheel bearing grease or brake grease probably aren't what Kawasaki was thinking of?  I don't know.

My dad's '74 Z1
    '00 ZRX1100

More
    09 May 2021 16:08 - 09 May 2021 16:10 #848271 by Nessism
    Replied by Nessism on topic Tachometer drive gear grease
    Maybe some assembly lube?  It's designed to be compatible with engine oil.  

Molykote is great stuff but it's a silicone grease.  Don't think it's the best mix with engine oil.
    Last edit: 09 May 2021 16:10 by Nessism.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
    • User
    • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
    More
    09 May 2021 16:50 #848273 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
    Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Tachometer drive gear grease
    Not much in the way of oil flow volume on the pinion shaft.  It just sits there & spins.  Not much load either.

Seeing as how thew pinion gear is cut with a twist, oil will either be directed (sorta) in the direction of the holder's bore (splash) or away from it.  Don't know off the tops of our heads which direction it spins.  Doubt there's enough flow volume to wash out whatever is applied as far as a grease-based lube is concerned.  Nothing in the Z1 White Manual on greasing it, so we always used motor oil on the shaft before inserting it into the holder & let splash handle it from there.

Thought experiment: The fact that there's so much oil escaping from a bad pinion seal when they really let loose indicates there's no oil starvation likely.

On the other hand, perhaps Mama Kaw learned from earlier motors that something more was needed.

Lubricants have advanced far since that manual was written.  Suspect anything other than dry would be OK.

Arcane stuff.  Love it...

Good Ridin'
    slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
    A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
    1974 Z1-A x2
    1975 Z1-B x2
    1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
    2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
    An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
    on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

• DOHC
    • Topic Author
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    09 May 2021 20:24 - 09 May 2021 20:25 #848283 by DOHC
    Replied by DOHC on topic Tachometer drive gear grease

Thought experiment: The fact that there's so much oil escaping from a bad pinion seal when they really let loose indicates there's no oil starvation likely.

That was my thought exactly.  Given how much they leak, it's clear that plenty of oil gets into the pinion shaft.

Nothing in the Z1 White Manual on greasing it, so we always used motor oil  

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I had not thought to check manuals from other years.  The quote I first posted is from the 77-78 KZ1000 A1/A2/D1 manual.  I just checked the kz900 manual, and it says nothing about it, like the white manual.

Then I checked the 1981-83 KZ1000/1100 manual.  It says "apply a small amount of molybdenum-disulfide engine assembly grease to the tachometer pinion shaft"

That's much more specific.  I'm going to use one of the assembly lubes I already have.

My dad's '74 Z1
    '00 ZRX1100
  • Last edit: 09 May 2021 20:25 by DOHC.

More
    10 May 2021 06:56 - 10 May 2021 06:57 #848297 by martin_csr
    Replied by martin_csr on topic Tachometer drive gear grease
    Anything you use shouldn't be a problem because it's such a tiny amount, probably no more than a few grams, so I would think engine oil contamination is unlikely.  I would probably use Permatex brake caliper grease >> it's high temp, waterproof, stays put, doesn't attract dust & grit, and should be safe for the o-ring. 

Last edit: 10 May 2021 06:57 by martin_csr.