Significant oil leak from front of engine.

More
08 May 2021 19:34 #848236 by Mittens
Hi all. I'm working on a '77 KZ650C. It has been sitting for a number of years. I've been going through it with basics like cleaning the carbs, new points etc. I pulled the valve cover and reshimmed a few valves to get it all in spec. It now runs, but I have oil weeping from the front of the bike in between cyl 2 and 3. I'm going to try to retorque the head next, but thought id ask you guys what you thought first. Did I disturb something with the valve cover off? Is this a common place to leak? A significant amount of oil is coming out so I need to fix it before I can ride it to shakedown the rest of the problems.

Thanks for your time.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2021 06:35 - 09 May 2021 10:02 #848254 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Significant oil leak from front of engine.
Howdy.  I doubt removing the valve cover had anything to do with it, and AFAIK that isn't a common area for a leak to occur.  Most leaks at the front of the engine are at the tach drive seal.  Maybe you're already certain, but I would clean up the engine then run it to make sure it's not coming from higher up.
Last edit: 09 May 2021 10:02 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mittens

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
09 May 2021 07:14 #848255 by DOHC
It looks like that could be coming from the tachometer drive output.  That is a common area for oil leaks.  The seals and o-ring are replacable and available from Kawasaki.  I'd try that first and see what happens.  The drive is easy to remove.  It's just held in by that socket head cap screw.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mittens