1982 GPZ1100 Starter clutch removal

More
29 Mar 2021 06:54 #845721 by jsalami
1982 GPZ1100 Starter clutch removal was created by jsalami
In the process of replacing the starter clutch on my 1982 gpz1100, see attached.

I have the rotor removal proper tool(M18 Motion Pro), applied anti seize and have tried 2 methods so far...

1. Used my cordless 20v impact driver which just snapped the bit off after about 10-15 pulses - not enough power IMHO

2. Beat on it with box wrench - was told to just keep beating on it and it will come.

Questions ...

Can i use a 1/2 inch air impact gun on it without damaging the threads?? - that is my main worry

Heat - I know heat can damage the magnets so looking for advice on the acceptable amount of heat.

I was told that it should come off without heat using a 1/2 inch air impact gun

thanks in advance :) 
Johnny

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2021 10:00 #846211 by Hardgun
Replied by Hardgun on topic 1982 GPZ1100 Starter clutch removal
I've removed mine twice. I recently made an OEM style rotor holder that made it a bit easier to tighten the bolt IMO, pics and post in the tools section.

Just get a good dead blow hammer. Tighten that puller as much as you can then give it a few real good smacks on the end. Try to tighten again. Then a couple of carefully done and not so forceful taps of the hammer on the top, bottom, and sides of the puller have helped me. Then try to tighten again. Rinse and Repeat. It will come off eventually though it sometimes doesn't feel like it.

Again careful hitting it from the sides as you dont want to accidentally hit the magnetic rotor and certainly don't want to put too much force on it from any side. just gotta break that taper fit.

1983 KZ750 LTD
1982 KZ1100 A2 Cafe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.