Turbo Charger

• just wont start
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Mar 2021 13:07 #844625 by just wont start
Turbo Charger was created by just wont start
undefined Hi everyone, Hopefully i can talk to Kawasaki turbo owners or people with know how on stripping a turbo charger.
Was on the final push of the restoration and decided before fitting the belly pan and fairings to change the oil again so i started it and let it idle a while but it had other ideas and started dripping oil from the exhaust joints. Clean oil and not burnt, i have read that GPZ turbos can loose oil because the turbo is sited low down especially if they need a rebuild or if the piston type ring has the gap to the bottom. Anyway i have pulled the manifold and turbo, no oil in the manifold by the way, have bought a rebuild kit and started to strip the turbo, its a Hitachi HT10-B. Taken off the exhaust side and taken out the large circlip from the boost side, my question is how to separate it, i thought it would come apart easily , hitting it with a rubber mallet, just will not come apart. Please am i missing something or not doing it correctly , its totally clean and revolves easily. Help !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2021 06:12 #844670 by rangeroy
Replied by rangeroy on topic Turbo Charger
put your turbo in a box & send it to Charlie @ evergreen turbos in Florida

1977 z650

More
10 Mar 2021 15:29 - 10 Mar 2021 15:34 #844718 by riturbo
Replied by riturbo on topic Turbo Charger
Ya dont screw around with it send it to charle . Hes the go to guy for the 750 turbo bikes .Hes rebuillt two for me so far . It needs more then just parts .Needs machine work to get it back to specs . He does great work and is reasonable too . Heres some more info . Read through this thread and youll see what m talkng about .And while your at it might as well join the turbo site .

www.750turbo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13416

Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk
Last edit: 10 Mar 2021 15:34 by riturbo.

• just wont start
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Mar 2021 08:21 #844761 by just wont start
Replied by just wont start on topic Turbo Charger
Thanks for the great replies guys but does anybody know ? The unit is super clean and looks still to be new, i just want to check if the piston ring is installed correctly, no machining will be needed. cheers

More
16 Mar 2021 06:11 #844989 by riturbo
Replied by riturbo on topic Turbo Charger
Just so you know .These bikes will leak oil into the turbo if you let them sit to long . Ive got 6 turbos and two of them will do it f not run for a while . A lot of guys on the turbo site store theres with a 2x4 under the front tire . Also dont fill it to the top with oil. Just to the lower mark on the site glass . Your turbo might be fine . If I were you .I would clean it up and start it with the exhaust off and look and see if it leaks while running . Also check to see if theres any oil in the plenum. Theres a drain on the bottom .Pull that and see if it has any oil in there before you start it .

Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk
The following user(s) said Thank You: just wont start

More
16 Mar 2021 14:08 #845019 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Turbo Charger
you know Kawasaki offered a revised oil level window for the 750 Turbo for this very problem

1984 750 Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: just wont start

• just wont start
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Mar 2021 12:23 #845495 by just wont start
Hi thanks for the great tips, The turbo boost side was just held together by a really sticky grey ish grease, the unit turned out to be brand new so i just made sure the ring gaps were set to the top, i keep it on the side stand now after your wise wisdom, i have put in the manual amount of oil of 3.5 l, Have i to drain some off?
its about half way up the glass,
Regards

• just wont start
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Mar 2021 12:26 #845496 by just wont start
Hello, i didnt know that fact, so was the oiling a problem from the very start  ?
Regards