• Page:

TOPIC:

An unexpected failure 07 Mar 2021 13:07 #844530

• papaya
  • papaya's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Story time!

I was riding this morning, enjoying a nice sub freezing New England day, when suddenly I heard a grinding noise. I lost all power. I pulled in the clutch and coasted into a nearby parking lot. I look at my bike, and notice my ignition cover dangling by its bolts, split in two. Something tells me the issue might be under there...

I pull off the cover and see the timing advance mechanism spinning loosey goosey. Well there's your problem! Somehow the timing bolt came loose and the advance weights ripped themselves apart! My theory is I somehow damaged it when I dropped my bike a few weeks ago (don't ride on ice, kids), or I damaged the cover and the cover broke and jammed up the advance mechanism.

Here I was in a parking lot, miles from home, scratching my head, trying to find a way home without calling a truck. The solution came to me in a sudden: zip ties! Anything can be fixed with zip ties! The timing point was spinning freely, all I needed to do was restrict it! Who needs timing advance? Fix my timing at x degrees before TDC and I'm happy! I removed the advance mechanism and shoved zip ties between the cam and the advance weights, and wrapped a zip tie around the weights. The point was jammed solid; I was ready to go!

I put together the timing mechanism, placed the two halves of my ignition cover in my saddlebag, and stowed all my tools. I got on the bike, turned on the ignition and turned it over: nothing. Engine turned but wouldn't start. Just the popping noise of gas being pumped into my hot pipes. What could be the issue? What could I have missed? Is there another problem? Is something else broken? Should I examine the other side of the bike for busted open covers? No, I just installed the ignition point 180 degrees out of phase. I fixed that and tried to start her, she's alive!

I had no timing advance, so when revs were high she'd start popping and grumbling. So, I kept the RPMs low and happily crawled home.

With these old bikes, it never hurts to keep your toolbag with you. If you know your bike, duct tape, zip ties, and mechanics wire alongside your wits will get you out of any bind, and home safely.

Ride prepared!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

An unexpected failure 08 Mar 2021 15:12 #844590

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Good save.

An unexpected failure 12 Mar 2021 08:07 #844821

• Mr. E
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Good recovery. Zip ties and bailing wire are always necessity in a little tool roll!
1981 KZ750 Chopper, 1975 KZ400 , 1984 GPZ750 track build , Res 1977 kz1000a ,1977 kz1000a ...ect.

• Page: