High cost of valve seals job ?

More
01 Mar 2021 15:59 #844309 by urankjj
Replied by urankjj on topic High cost of valve seals job ?
Well, you could also try hittin the bottle. A couple of tankful's of Seafoam in the fuel, and then some "Bar’s leaks valve seal oil consumption repair" for the crankcase. Just a thought.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2021 16:23 #844310 by Polish
Replied by Polish on topic High cost of valve seals job ?
Sometime it is not the mileage on the bike that matters, but how long it has been sitting around without running. Then the seals will dry out. Run it and you will see how she behaves.

JL

1979 Honda CB400T Cafe Racer (current ride)
1982 KZ750 LTD (current project)

More
01 Mar 2021 16:54 #844311 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic High cost of valve seals job ?

cb900f wrote: The valve seals can be changed without removing the head, but the engine may need to be removed from the frame to give you enough room to get at the seals with the required tools.

There are plenty of reasons why taking the head off might be a good idea but if it was me, with such a low mileage bike, and in the absence of anything to indicate any other problems, I wouldn't bother removing the head at this point.

I agree, the seals can be changed without pulling the head but it's not a simple job. There was a thread here on the subject with photos and links a while back.

More
02 Mar 2021 03:57 #844319 by mikemann0
Replied by mikemann0 on topic High cost of valve seals job ?
The bike is currently torn down to the state in my avatar , I believe I will give it a try assembled , Worse case I have to pull the head , It had been ridden about 400 miles this year , Carbs torn down right now.

1979 Kawasaki KZ650D-SR

More
02 Mar 2021 04:50 #844320 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic High cost of valve seals job ?
It's all very well thinking that it won't need much work with being 40 years old and the very low mileage but how long has it been stood without being turned over.
Valves and seats won't remain clean if just left static and corrosion will form on them at the very least.
The same goes for the bores if you are unlucky.
Oxidisation is generally harder than the base material so that will have been hammered in to the valve and seat contacting surfaces on start up so at the least they will need a light lapping .

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
02 Mar 2021 04:51 #844321 by Nessism
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikemann0