High cost of valve seals job ?

More
24 Feb 2021 11:29 #844008 by mikemann0
High cost of valve seals job ? was created by mikemann0
Only local shop that will touch this 79 KZ650sr is a mom and pop store , No Big name manufacturer will touch it as they say its too old for them to work on (I hear we don't know what a carb is so can't work on that) , Anyway the bike has 3,147 orig miles and obviously smokes at start up so I just wanted to replace the seals (all fluids have been changed twice in a 100 mile shakedown run) but they (mom and pop) won't touch it without doing a complete head job....to the tune of ballpark they said maybe more maybe less...$600.00 and need to leave it 3-4 weeks ????

1979 Kawasaki KZ650D-SR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2021 14:03 #844019 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic High cost of valve seals job ?
Location ?

1984 750 Turbo

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
24 Feb 2021 14:18 #844022 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic High cost of valve seals job ?
If it only smokes on start up there is no need to replace the valve seals. Do you know much is the oil consumption?

More
25 Feb 2021 03:44 - 25 Feb 2021 03:45 #844056 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic High cost of valve seals job ?
At that low mileage and age of the bike the valve seals will have hardened so most likely the cause of the start up smoking.
Pulling the head will mean new valve seals, head gasket, camcover gasket and exhaust gaskets most likely at the least so around $150 minimum for parts.
It will benefit from a clean up of the valve seats and possibly re-shim so $600 isn't way off with a shops labour. .
You know what they say.... If you pay peanuts you usually get Monkeys.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 25 Feb 2021 03:45 by zed1015.

More
25 Feb 2021 04:18 #844057 by Polish
Replied by Polish on topic High cost of valve seals job ?
First of all, welcome to the forum. Search the site, you will find very useful topics.

I will be doing the same job on my 750, meaning a full top end rebuild. Like zed1015 said, at that age, all the seals have hardened. A full gasket kit, carb rebuild kit with new rings and engine oil seals kit cost me $295CAN. Just make sure you buy OEM replacement, not the cheap aftermarket. I don't know your skill level, but it is doable. The toughest part is the honing of the cylinders. If you don't have the tool or don't want to buy it, go to a machine shop. Honing in the next inline, but again, doable. Check the links for videos of what is involved. It is on a Honda, but pretty much the same.

JL

1979 Honda CB400T Cafe Racer (current ride)
1982 KZ750 LTD (current project)

More
25 Feb 2021 04:23 #844058 by Polish
Replied by Polish on topic High cost of valve seals job ?
Oh yeah, I forgot! Get a factory service manual. That's a must and not the Clymer one they say. Someone will post one soon.

JL

1979 Honda CB400T Cafe Racer (current ride)
1982 KZ750 LTD (current project)

More
01 Mar 2021 08:18 #844288 by mikemann0
Replied by mikemann0 on topic High cost of valve seals job ?
I'm located in Johnson City , Tn

1979 Kawasaki KZ650D-SR

More
01 Mar 2021 08:22 #844289 by mikemann0
I just don' see the valve seat cleaning and re-shim needed at 3,100 orig. miles is why I'm shocked at $600.00 for just valve seals , Only smokes at startup and only rode it a short time before taking it off the road so no idea as to oil consumption.

1979 Kawasaki KZ650D-SR

More
01 Mar 2021 08:32 #844290 by mikemann0
Pic

1979 Kawasaki KZ650D-SR
Attachments:

More
01 Mar 2021 11:40 #844297 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic High cost of valve seals job ?
$600 for labor with parts extra sound closer to what I'd expect. And parts would be several hundred in of themselves.

Any time the head is removed the cylinder should come off too for the base gasket change. The base gaskets tend to stick really bad so cleaning that alone could take a good hour.

Parts needed include base, head, and valve cover gasket. Various rubber seals needed. Kawasaki doesn't sell gasket kits so someone has to sit down at a computer and dig through all the parts fishe pages and find the right numbers and then place the order. Gasket kits vary from passable to pure junk so safe money is on OEM gaskets/seals which are not cheap. Also, dollars to donuts the intake boots on the head will crack and leak when you wrestle the carbs off.

Honestly, this situation is a perfect example of why working on your own bike is almost a necessity when it comes to 40 year old bikes. At least that way you don't have to suck up the labor bill. Parts alone will put you upside down on a lot of bikes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

More
01 Mar 2021 12:11 #844299 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic High cost of valve seals job ?
Nessism wrote: "Honestly, this situation is a perfect example of why working on your own bike is almost a necessity when it comes to 40 year old bikes. At least that way you don't have to suck up the labor bill."

Exactly! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
01 Mar 2021 13:24 - 01 Mar 2021 13:30 #844303 by cb900f
Replied by cb900f on topic High cost of valve seals job ?
The valve seals can be changed without removing the head, but the engine may need to be removed from the frame to give you enough room to get at the seals with the required tools.

There are plenty of reasons why taking the head off might be a good idea but if it was me, with such a low mileage bike, and in the absence of anything to indicate any other problems, I wouldn't bother removing the head at this point.
Last edit: 01 Mar 2021 13:30 by cb900f.