Runaway Engine

More
14 Feb 2021 10:16 #843467 by ken19
Runaway Engine was created by ken19
05 Kz1000P

Finally got it together for a test run. Runs, but poorly. Acts like a vacuum leak but can find none. It idles poorly, When I throttle up a little it'll go to 3-4000 rpm and stay their. Also getting a little after fire in exhaust. I did remove the air valve and purchased APE caps. Surely this cannot be the problem.

Checked the sync,,, not perfect but okay,,, shouldn't be running this poorly. I have checked the idle air,,, all about 2 turns out.

I don't think it could be cam timing as it actually runs smooth when at 3000 rpm. Checked compression 135 to 150.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2021 12:04 #843475 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Runaway Engine
Did you replace the carb boots that attach to the engine? If not I'd start there. And is the airbox attached to the back side of the carbs without any air leakage?

And in case you didn't know, there is a base idle speed adjustment knob on the carbs. Oh, and spraying junk on the engine only shows gross air leaks, not small ones which can upset the idle.

More
14 Feb 2021 12:41 #843478 by ken19
Replied by ken19 on topic Runaway Engine

Nessism wrote: Did you replace the carb boots that attach to the engine? If not I'd start there. And is the airbox attached to the back side of the carbs without any air leakage?

And in case you didn't know, there is a base idle speed adjustment knob on the carbs. Oh, and spraying junk on the engine only shows gross air leaks, not small ones which can upset the idle.

The boots are new. The Airbox is attached and springs on. Trust me,,, took a couple hours to get it on! Yes,,, I am aware of the Idle screw.

I reinstalled the Air Injector. I was able to get a clean idle and a fair sync adjustment. I will have to wait for warmer weather to get it perfect.
It appears the Air Injection has something to do with this?!@#$., or I was just lucky this time. Even the intermittent backfire (after fire) stopped.

Don't ask me why,,, I cannot fathom a reason the Air Injection would have anything to do with the intake side. I spent $60 + for those APE covers,,, you know I want to use them. They look nice.
Once I get everything right I'll swap them out again for grins and giggles. That'll be awhile as this cold weather has me stuck inside.... And I live in the Free state of Florida!

When I pull 'choke' all the way out the engine sometimes revs,,, then I push it back half way,,, wait,,, close it.
When I redone the carbs I never noticed any o-rings in this. I assume this is some kind of enrichment thing? Didn't see anything I could do to it. Wondering if this could cause trouble.

Thanks for your response.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Feb 2021 16:01 #843491 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Runaway Engine
Block off the vacuum lines going to the air injection system.
Steve
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism