LTD440 spits out a lot of oil in the overflow

More
01 Feb 2021 05:16 #842774 by Jasper.R
Hi,

Ever since I changed the oil on my LTD440, it spits out an enormous amount of oil through the overflow tube. So much so that the oil now actually gets on my rear wheel, causing me to slip easily. The previous owner of my bike had a little container for it, but it would never really get full at all. Right now it seems to just spit out a *lot*.

When the bike is upright, the oil level on the glass panel is a little below 50% (on a cold engine). Should it be lower?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2021 10:36 - 01 Feb 2021 10:37 #842792 by JR

When the bike is upright, the oil level on the glass panel is a little below 50% (on a cold engine). Should it be lower?

Middle of the sight window sounds right.

Excess oil coming out the crankcase breather may be caused by high crankcase pressure caused in turn by blow by around the piston rings. Check engine/cylinder compression
Also check your cylinder head breather -pretty sure you have one on the 440 - for blockage

Also check 440 manual maintenance chapter, lubrication section for anything that might stand out

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 01 Feb 2021 10:37 by JR.

More
05 Mar 2021 00:51 #844427 by Jasper.R
Replied by Jasper.R on topic LTD440 spits out a lot of oil in the overflow
The oil seems to be mixed with petrol. I went for a ride last week and decided to catch the overflow in a small plastic bottle, to determine whether it was pure oil or not. I had re-filled the oil to slightly above 50% of the viewing glass before I drove off.

Here's what it looks like:

It also smells an awful lot like petrol.

What I'm thining is the carbs are somehow dripping through petrol when they should be closed, but I'm far from sure. I'm also unsure what else I can try at this point. Any idea's?

More
05 Mar 2021 05:12 #844431 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic LTD440 spits out a lot of oil in the overflow
Is that hose connected to the breather on top of the rocker box?
What is in that bottle looks thin. What weight oil is being used?

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
05 Mar 2021 05:15 #844432 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic LTD440 spits out a lot of oil in the overflow
If the float needles stick open and the petcock flows when the engine is off that results in carb overflowing when the bike is parked. The overflow can flow into the engine through the intake ports, pass down through the rings, and fill up the crankcase with gasoline. Common problem actually.

1) the float valves should hold back the fuel, however, it's asking a lot of them to do this at all times
2) the petcock should shut off fuel flow when the engine is not running. This reduces pressure on the float valves.

Sounds like it's time to change the oil and check the petcock. If the petcock has a prime feature make sure it's turned OFF. The petcock needs to stop the fuel flow when the engine is off, or with a manual petcock, you need to turn it off when parking the bike.