Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

drag race supper gas 26 Jan 2021 05:29 #842421

• Machine
  • Machine's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
any old school racers out there ..i need some input before i split the cases ..i got a supper gas engine 1978 block. question no neutral ? shifts fast and smooth under hard load go's from 1st to 5 with no neutral . no neutral before 1st or after 5th ether . it will go thorough all the gears engine off clean positive shifting i can get neutral in the normal location but no detent to hold it in place. i know the detent is in side the shift drum on the 78kz could i get to it buy removing the oil pan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

drag race supper gas 26 Jan 2021 07:09 #842426

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
There are two detents involving the shift drum. One in the center of the case and one on the end of the shift drum inside the tranny shift cover. Both can be accessed by removing the pan and cover. The 73-80 detent cams were changed slightly 80 on. The one under the T cover was called the positive neutral finder. It also worked with the ball bearings in the input shaft to prevent over shifting past second when the bike isn't moving. It's all in the manual.
Steve

drag race supper gas 26 Jan 2021 07:35 #842429

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1467
Only one detent on the shift drum to actually hold neutral.
The end of the drum activates the neutral light and the bearings in the cluster prevent 2nd gear on up being selected at standstill (usually always removed for drag racing as yours appear to have been).
The drum detent can be accessed through the sump.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.
  • Page: