KZ750H cam chain rattle

• timuralp
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
30 Dec 2020 00:38 #840820 by timuralp
KZ750H cam chain rattle was created by timuralp
I have a 1980 KZ750H1 with a manual APE cam chain tensioner. It's at ~33k miles. I recently adjusted the tensioner by hand with the engine cold, turning the tensioner screw in as I was rotating the engine, and then backing out ~1/4 turn. The ride afterward was uneventful -- the bike sounded better and I didn't notice any issues.

A few days later, I took the bike out for a second ride and wanted to check/adjust the tensioner with the engine warm. I noticed a rattle noise turning the engine by hand every time I put tension on the crankshaft -- it would disappear during the rotation and when the bike was actually running. Here is an example: video . I adjusted the tensioner slightly and then double checked with the engine running, leaving it with a slight tick at idle, trying to avoid over-tightening. While running, aside from the tick, I didn't hear any other strange sounds.

Is the rattle in the video a concern or a normal sound of the chain hitting a guide when it's under tension?
Thanks for any insight! Let me know if I can add any other details.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2020 06:23 #840903 by blipco
Replied by blipco on topic KZ750H cam chain rattle
That doesn't sound normal to me. It's almost as if the tensioner is hitting the chain directly. Did you check for worn guides?

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.