Base Gasket Removal

More
04 Dec 2020 23:54 #839400 by CoyoteDan
Base Gasket Removal was created by CoyoteDan
So I have been having a real hard time removing this base gasket. I have been at it for about 3 weeks now. At first I was using carb cleaner and switching between a razor blade and a brass wire brush. I had some kerosene on hand so I gave that a shot. I wasn't getting very far with these chemicals so I started using acetone for a while. That started to get me a little further but had seemed to stop being as effective. I then tried Permatex and got almost no results with that, so I have moved to Jasco paint and epoxy remover this like the acetone worked for alittle but soon its effectiveness seemed to stop. I still have about 25% of the gasket on the cyilender block. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
05 Dec 2020 05:31 #839404 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Base Gasket Removal
Aqua blast.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
05 Dec 2020 05:42 #839405 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Base Gasket Removal
Keep at it. The paint stripper should soften the top skin. Be sure keep the surface wet and allow it to dwell for a few hours before going over to the scraping.
Removing that gasket is one of the suckiest jobs in all of an engine rebuild. It goes to show how tough the OEM gaskets were. Be sure to get an OEM replacement. You need a good tough gasket for that application that won't compress under clamp loads. Aftermarket gaskets are like cheese in comparison, which results in a lot of torque falloff which leads to reduced clamp loads and oil leaks.