Cam chain choise

More
06 Dec 2020 09:48 #839477 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Cam chain choise

Mikaw wrote: Jim at Redline cycle claims the HD chain extends the life of the guide rollers.

True! Chain stretch is the cause of sprocket tooth wear so a HD chain will remain in spec far longer.
That said as long as whatever chain is used is not allowed to become excessively worn the idler teeth will remain serviceable almost indefinitely with the main cause of failure being the rubber centers.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
06 Dec 2020 12:31 #839481 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Cam chain choise
My 2 cents on cam chains .
Anytime I crack a motor open and split the cases .
The motor gets a new HD chain installed.
Why ??????
Limited opportunities to replace the chain , as how often do you dig this deep into your motor.
HD chain ?? Hell yeah . Minimal cost to upgrade over standard chain
2nd why ???
If your cam chain is allowed to wearout.. and fail,, Motor is destroyed Head , valves junk, Pistons kissed . Maybe more / worse
Just my 2 cents
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
06 Dec 2020 18:20 #839497 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Cam chain choise

Street Fighter LTD wrote: My 2 cents on cam chains .
Anytime I crack a motor open and split the cases .
The motor gets a new HD chain installed.
Why ??????
Limited opportunities to replace the chain , as how often do you dig this deep into your motor.
HD chain ?? Hell yeah . Minimal cost to upgrade over standard chain
2nd why ???
If your cam chain is allowed to wearout.. and fail,, Motor is destroyed Head , valves junk, Pistons kissed . Maybe more / worse
Just my 2 cents
Dave

Yep!

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.